Include shadowing of non-PAs?

Guest JPG13

If you are concerned that shadowing MDs,nuses, etc might suggest you are uncertain about the PA path, I think the opposite is true. Aside from the knowledge you gain by shadowing other health care providers, if you choose the PA path it is useful to know why you prefer that over other options.

When I submitted my CASPA last year, I included 2 MDs I shadowed along with the PAs. I think it is important to show because it demonstrates a better understanding of healthcare as a whole. While I shadowed the MDs, I was able to observe the relationship between the MD and their PA contributing in part to my decision to become a PA.

I shadowed an NP as well as MDs. As others have commented, it gives you some first hand experience to reference about similarities and differences you were able to personally observe, albeit it a limited sampling, versus what you read or heard about it.

Archived