Quarter vs semester hours

I'm hoping someone who's filled out CASPA before has some experience with this. I graduated from a quarter based univeristy and am aware that most schools list pre-req's in semester hours.

Currently I'm working on choosing classes from my transcript that fill the requirements for certain schools and CASPA, I'm guessing, cannot differentiate quarter based credits from semester based credits, and I'm assuming the Minimum Credits4| Minimum Grades2 slogan it gives is in reference to semester hours, but wanted to see if anyone else knew for definite. I'm in the position that I'm clicking multiple classes to meet the credit requirement for a certain subject.

For example many schools have Chem I and Chem II for pre-reqs with a credit requirement of 8 semester credits. I took 3 quarters of general chemistry (I, II and III) for a total of 14 credits. How do I proceed in instances like this? Do I select all or just two? Choose two for Chem I and the rest for Chem II? This is a broad example that is applicable to many classes, but most usually I have been finding it with chemistry and biology.

Correct me if I'm wrong or if you have any input.

Thanks!

• Administrator

That is not a correct assumption.  CASPA differentiated between quarter and semester hours just fine six cycles ago (I have plenty of both), and I cannot imagine that it's devolved since then.

A quarter credit is 2/3rds of a semester hour.  So a 5 credit hour class comes over as 3.33 semester hours.  You can figure these yourself, or wait to see what CASPA figures on your behalf.

Thanks, I'm hoping someone who is filling it out will eventually answer. I understand the credit differential.

CASPA is giving me credit requirements based on semester hours for certain pre-reqs (And I know this from cross referencing school websites), and my transcript reflects quarter hours. I just want to know if other people are clicking multiple classes for one category unless otherwise directed.

Hi Rev - Limey is talking about the new "pre-req" section where each school lists its pre-reqs and you pick from your coursework what class you think meets that pre-req. The coursework section works the semester/quarter thing as it always did from what I understand.

Limey - this sounds like a question for your PA program(S) since they are the ones listng those pre-reqs and find out how they want quarter-system applicants to report these.

Archived