Applying Early

Everyone's biggest suggestions for applicants is to apply early. CASPA opened April 22nd, so my question is, what is considered early? Is mid-May still considered applying early? I know people apply at different times but I want to be proactive and get the application in early to have a better chance at acceptance.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!

Great, thanks. I'm trying to work on it now, and in the next few weeks to be done by mid May. I was originally planning on waiting until the next cycle but I'm going to give myself a shot this year.

Anyone else, please feel free to share your thoughts!

I second dndandrea -

May and June is great unless you are applying to the 2 or 3 schools on the list with a June or July deadline.

July is pushing it depending on when your deadlines are (ie. if it's Aug 1 this is a bad idea, Nov 1, not so much a problem)

August and later is what I would consider late, as you are now placing yourself in the seasonal rush and many of the schools have already picked over their best choices from those that already got their info in.

I'd also note that there is such a thing as TOO early. I wouldn't advise anyone to turn everything in before May. Most of the schools don't start sifting through this stuff until May anyway and applying on Day 1 makes it look like you just rushed through the application without reading everything fully. I know many applicants who feel that they need to apply RIGHT AWAY and often make glaring errors. It's also likely you may have some extra classes or experiences that are close to finishing up.

Mid-May is EARLY. That shouldn't even be a concern at all. 

It depends on the program. If their deadline is July 15 then June 30 is probably not early. However, if a deadline is September one and you're applying in July, that's early. So while there is no one date to give you to say 'you're early', using the program's deadlines should help. You should apply early BUT you should ALSO make sure your application is complete as possible because an application with 20 things missing but three months early isn't going to be any better than submitting on the last day of the deadline. 

Archived