Question during interview for PA employment

Hello all

i am soon to be new graduate. I have read somewhere on here that whoever speaks first about numbers/salary is the loser in terms of salary paid. thank you for that tip. However, what if the interviewer ask me "so what do you think is a fair salary for a new grad in family medicine?" may i ask for some tips on how to approach this question? i really don't want to get low balled, bc excepting such a low balled offer would just hurt our profession in the long run. this is in southern california. i do have a copy of the 2013 aapa salary report ready to be printed out.

thank you for your help and time to answer my question :)

I have read somewhere on here that whoever speaks first about numbers/salary is the loser in terms of salary paid. thank you for that tip.

You are welcome OpsFcmv.gifhttp://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/9593-psych-salary/?hl=%2Bpsych+%2Bsalary What I meant on here is if you are the first to throw out a number, the number you give could be less than what the employer was planning to pay. Wait for the employer to give a range, and when it does ask you for a figure you expect to be making, choose a salary that is higher than the median they provide. And like I said don’t talk salary on the first interview, but you must look out for yourself always. The advice to “avoid compromise and accommodation” seems to fly in the face of reality. If the hiring manager has a firm budget of $75,000 for the position and you keep insisting that you will accept nothing less than $80,000, you’ll find yourself offered a handshake and a “thank you so much, but we’ll go with our second choice.” This isn’t to say that companies generally withdraw offers if you ask for more money (rare, but it does happen), but that at some point you need to compromise. Also keep in mind that you need to be negotiating around what the market is paying for similar positions. (That is why it's good to do your homework ahead of time.) This counsel applies not only to an original job offer, but is also important when you are looking to get a promotion. No one cares about your career like you do, so sometimes (often!) you need to be the one to speak up and say, “Hey, I want a promotion!”

Archived