Things They Don’t Tell you When You’re In PA School

I feel like I was academically well-prepared.

Rotations are 50% luck and 50% what you make of them.

The biggest disservice they did to us was not spending more time on the fine art of billing, and contract negotiation. Also wasting our time on BS diversity training. Yeah we get it....gays/transgender/minorities are people too. 

They don't tell you that you don't change the world.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

“To the world you may be one person; but to one person you may be the world.”

This quote isn’t from a book, but rather from Dr. Seuss himself. I appreciate this quote because it reminds me how much the actions of one person can make a difference to someone else. So next time your patient is vulnerable or you are having a bad day, do something special for yourself or him/her. You never know how much it may mean.

The biggest disservice they did to us was not spending more time on the fine art of billing, and contract negotiation. 

Students need to know the business of medicine before they graduate.

It should be something that gets as much attention as anything else.

Contract negotiation is key too. There should be an emphasis on key components. There is much out there in the world to take advantage of new grads and most wont realize it till they are too far gone and stuck.

Here are a couple of things:

It can be a lonely world in medicine being a PA. I have spent most of my career in employment where I was only one of 2 PAs. Since we worked opposite each other, very little time for camaraderie nor commiseration. 

It can be very difficult to develop empathy for patients whom you cannot identify with one single iota. Maintaining professionalism will be one of the most challenging things you do on a daily basis.

G Brothers PA-C

PA school may and probably will only prepare you to learn your first job as you work there - it won't prepare for the job.  Rotations are where you'll get your closest view about what you'll really have to know.  Unless the faculty are working as providers they may well be out of touch with the current needs of the marketplace.  Being nice to everyone you meet is critical: your preceptors for getting that all important 1st job, the nursing, MA, tech, etc. staff for really surviving your 1st job.

Archived