Changing from FT to PRN

I am leaving my current job (Rural FP) job and starting at a different position (EM/Urgent Care). My current job has asked if I will stay on PRN to help with coverage. This has been cleared through my new employer (they are separated by a decent distance). Currently, I make about 45 in the FP job. If I stay on PRN, what is a reasonable hourly rate to ask for? I have 'full' benefits and from what I can gather, this can typically add 15-30%. Would asking for an additional 20% be reasonable? Or am I off base here?

Thanks!

Guest Paula

You are not off base. $55 - 60 an hour is reasonable and it is cheaper for them as they don't have to hire a locum company who would charge them 2-3 x that wage for the services. 

Just make sure you are still an employee and they are paying your employment taxes and s.s. 

I would not consider a job for less then $65/hour per diem

Just me

But think about it - they are going to use you to help cover when they need it 

If you see 3 patients an hour, that is like $240/hour

they can pay you $65 with out any bennies

Just make sure they are providing Med Mal

Oh yeah and NOT as a 1099, but a regular W2 employee.

I would ask for $65 for 4 reasons.

First, you likely wont get an opportunity to negotiate again for several years.

2nd, you will have to travel and that costs $$.

3rd, you will just keep getting better and that $65 represents to a certain extent your future potential also.

4th, they are getting a deal especially if you can come through for them. If you dont, they didnt pay you anything, all it is, is a promise....but get it written down.

G Brothers PA-C

Archived