Sending GRE scores before CASPA opens ?

Hey everybody,

I'm all set to take my GRE on Tuesday (3/24). I have everything else in my application set up so that I can apply as soon as CASPA opens, but I'm just realizing that CASPA won't accept any of my scores before the application opens. I know that the GRE lets you send 4 free score reports on the day that you take the test, but I don't know where to send them on the day that I take my test...will the schools accept them before the rest of my application comes in? Can I send them to myself? It seems like I'm basically throwing money out the window by taking my GRE early, so I'm hoping that somebody can suggest a way to put my free scores to use! 

Thanks for your help!

It sounds like you may want to reschedule the test if possible. You can have them sent to the schools directly, but if they get them directly from ETS but wanted them to come from CASPA, they may make you resend them via CASPA once it opens, in which case ETS will change you again anyway.

I would highly advise against this. Send them on the opening day of CASPA instead, April 22. It will save you a lot of headache if there is an issue in matching scores sent early, to your application. Especially since this application is launching on a brand new software we want to make sure that everything is running smoothly at launch, so it would be best to wait. 

You CAN send them to the school directly and they will keep them on file in case down the line you are accepted in which case the school may require the scores directly. But for most programs you will have to submit (and pay again) via CASPA. But since sending the scores at the time of the test is free you might as well send them somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

You CAN send them to the school directly and they will keep them on file in case down the line you are accepted in which case the school may require the scores directly. But for most programs you will have to submit (and pay again) via CASPA. But since sending the scores at the time of the test is free you might as well send them somewhere.

While this is true, please know that the fee to send GRE scores does not come from CASPA, it is ETS that requires a fee to send official test scores. While official test scores can be uploaded directly to the application if a program has a CASPA-specific code, scores cannot be sent until the cycle opens on April 22. If you send them to the school before, it is more than likely you will have to send them again electronically. 

Archived