-new grad-Ortho job

Nonsurgical ortho job offer in southeast US. Basically seeing nonsurgical complaints and referring surgical ones to surgeons.

New grad to start at 78K. With reevaluation of salary in 6 months and yearly after that . 4% 401K match. No call or weekends. 10% production bonus every 6 months...Revenue - salary and overhead. Anyone have thoughts. I'm a new grad who went to school to do ortho

Is this at an academic medical center? I'm asking because they are low for new grads here in the southeast (I'm in NC). Is there additional sick time? Nurses in the southeast are not making that unless they've been working and climbing their clinical ladder for a long time (or they work weekend nights and also have quite a bit of experience). Yes, 90K is great, and several of my new grad classmates got that, but guess what? They are working out in the middle of nowhere or they are working in psych. If you love ortho and the southeast, you may take a hit on salary. How much can the bonus add?

I'm in a similar boat- I want a certain specialty and I am not willing to move my family.

Is this at an academic medical center? I'm asking because they are low for new grads here in the southeast (I'm in NC). Is there additional sick time? Nurses in the southeast are not making that unless they've been working and climbing their clinical ladder for a long time (or they work weekend nights and also have quite a bit of experience). Yes, 90K is great, and several of my new grad classmates got that, but guess what? They are working out in the middle of nowhere or they are working in psych. If you love ortho and the southeast, you may take a hit on salary. How much can the bonus add?

I'm in a similar boat- I want a certain specialty and I am not willing to move my family.

yea pay in the south is rough for PAs (its actually bad for all health professions including nursing)

the only people i know who started above 90 were all up in the northeast or working in ER

yea pay in the south is rough for PAs (its actually bad for all health professions including nursing)

the only people i know who started above 90 were all up in the northeast or working in ER

South? You can't really group every southern state as having low salaries. Saturated areas w/ many PA programs in the vicinity tend to have lower salaries. The northeast isn't necessarily a higher salary area. New grads in NYC are lucky to get 70k. Boston is pretty saturated. The cost of living is higher too. Is Texas considered south? I know several new grads making 90k+ in Peds, FM, and IM. You usually can choose two of the following when looking for your first job (location, preferred specialty, >average salary). Many people have a specialty/area of medicine in mind, so they have a choice of location or high salary. It's rare for a new grad to have all three unless you are a gunner and impress a preceptor or physician on a rotation and they offer you a great job right out of the gate. I've seen this happen w/ students in surgical specialties/derm/EM, but it's the exception.

The northeast isn't necessarily a higher salary area. New grads in NYC are lucky to get 70k.

I disagree about nyc. In general it pays average to better. Northeast, again, many new grads are being paid average pa salary or higher, which is behind usual for new grads. On a separate subject, that offer,OP, is nonsense.

Psych PAs? I've been interested in psych for a while but I was under the impression that there wasnt much for PAs to do in psych?

Moy505- Two of my classmates are starting in jobs where they provide medical clearance for inpatient psych patients (and are making GREAT $$$). Maybe it's not this way everywhere, but I know NC and TX both have multiple psych positions that I've seen (although some places do prefer psych NPs).

FSUnoles- I don't know about the rest of the south, but I know NC has some low offers. I think it depends on the area and specialty though. The hospital system where I did several rotations actually starts new grad EM PAs in the low-mid 80's at one hospital and closer to 90-100K at another hospital in their system that is only 30 minutes away. It was a recent merger though, so hopefully that will get changed. One of the academic medical centers around here is starting new grads in the 70's- not sure about the others.

I was hired into my chosen field (hem/onc) at an outpatient private practice and I am happy with the pay, but I will be commuting 44 miles each way (only 4 days a week thankfully). So, like everyone here keeps saying- pick two: specialty, location, pay....

Archived