Online PA Programs

I think one of the major things to consider is how to judge such a program. I have no doubts that the program will have solid pance passing rates, most people could pass pance after year 1 as evidenced by packrat scores, and many can study a review book and do practice questions and likely pass without having ever stepped foot in a clinical setting. It will not be enough for an online, or any, program to say that it is successful because its students pass boards. Something aside from pance must be used to objectively and subjectively evaluate each student for clinical readiness, professionalism, etc. how that will be done online remains to be seen.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one of the major things to consider is how to judge such a program. I have no doubts that the program will have solid pance passing rates, most people could pass pance after year 1 as evidenced by packrat scores, and many can study a review book and do practice questions and likely pass without having ever stepped foot in a clinical setting. It will not be enough for an online, or any, program to say that it is successful because its students pass boards. Something aside from pance must be used to objectively and subjectively evaluate each student for clinical readiness, professionalism, etc. how that will be done online remains to be seen.

wouldn't you likie to see that for regular programs too? there used to be practical exams on pance to do this...maybe what is needed is a 1 yr postgrad survey sent to SPs or something similar?

I would like to see something more than just pance, admittingly I'm not sure about how best to do it. It would definitely make me more comfortable with the idea of an online program. Our program has a 200q mult choice, 20 short answer, and 7 patient osce summative exam which I like to think does a pretty good job of ensuring clinical practice readiness. I do not know what other program practices are, but I'd guess that there are atleast some that are not as comprehensive.

I would like to see something more than just pance, admittingly I'm not sure about how best to do it. It would definitely make me more comfortable with the idea of an online program. Our program has a 200q mult choice, 20 short answer, and 7 patient osce summative exam which I like to think does a pretty good job of ensuring clinical practice readiness. I do not know what other program practices are, but I'd guess that there are atleast some that are not as comprehensive.

at my program we had mock boards week right before graduation. oral exam with faculty grilling you, 3 practical exams, and 3 written exams. all must pass. fail any single component you get 1 chance at a retake. fail twice, you don't graduate.

You're right, that's a tough question. I think all health professions education programs struggle with how to best measure outcomes, online or otherwise. I would imagine that those things are a big part of what the ARC-PA looks for in considering accreditation for a program.  

I am an NP who disagrees with online NP programs so I understand the PA community concerns. Online education provides an excellent pathway where appropriate. I just feel that medical education is best obtained In a conventional face to face setting.

Interesting theres a NP in a PA forum... Thinking of converting?

Archived