Urgent Care Contract - New Grad

I am going to be having a phone interview with an Urgent Care center in Maryland and wanted to know what a fair starting pay would be? 

This is a full urgent care center which provides x-ray and lab services.

I want to be able to negotiate appropriately and not low-ball myself from the start if they ask me for a starting salary. 

Thanks for any input! 

45/hr with a full benefits package is a good place to start for a new grad. more if you will be covering nights/weekends/holidays.

the 24/7 urgent care I mentioned pays new grads 45/hr to work double coverage with a doc and experienced pas 55/hr (to do the solo nights). there is a production bonus as well which can be 10-15/hr if you are really moving fast.

If you have access to it, I would check the AAPA salary report to check your state. I currently work at a full UC in Montana and get paid $50 hourly as a new grad. 

I would also recommend you ask and be very clear about hours and how consistent they will be--Mine vary from one shift a week to 4+ and is very inconsistent; I was happy about hourly until I realized just how unstable/inconstant hourly ends up being compared to salary. If they promise full time (as mine did) get it in writing with signatures.

I worked with my SP for the first 3 months (shared shifts) and now work independently seeing anywhere from 7 patients to 35 a day (in a 10 hour shift...) So you should also see what support you will have, especially on busy days. I was an EMT before becoming a PA which helps but if you have limited experience before school it could be very difficult; I would honestly say that as much as I enjoy the autonomy, there are times when immediate access to a SP is necessary, so you need good support and you need to insist on it for yourself.

So this is the offer - 

$45/hr base pay with production % bonus - states my starting percentage is 13.5% (not exactly sure how this works yet-  getting clarification) 

Full benefits including $2000/ yr CME,  15 days vacation, 401k with .0.50/1.00 match up to first 6%, malpractice coverage w/ tail coverage (5m/5m) 

Would be required to work at least 28 weekend hours per month (35/ month during 5 weekend months) - weekend bonus offered. 

Holiday bonus of $5- $30/hr depending on which holiday it is. 

Training and availability of SP at every shift sounds like a good environment to thrive as a new grad. 

Sounding pretty decent to me. 

So this is the offer - 

$45/hr base pay with production % bonus - states my starting percentage is 13.5% (not exactly sure how this works yet-  getting clarification) 

Full benefits including $2000/ yr CME,  15 days vacation, 401k with .0.50/1.00 match up to first 6%, malpractice coverage w/ tail coverage (5m/5m) 

Would be required to work at least 28 weekend hours per month (35/ month during 5 weekend months) - weekend bonus offered. 

Holiday bonus of $5- $30/hr depending on which holiday it is. 

Training and availability of SP at every shift sounds like a good environment to thrive as a new grad. 

Sounding pretty decent to me. 

How many hours per week/month/year are you being offered?

Do you work a shift? 8hr? 10hr? 12hr?

What does full benefits mean? Health, life, dental?

15 days vacation is pretty slim. If you are working a longer shift and therefore less days per week, administrators will try to use that and say you have more time off. You don't. Basically they are saying if you work a normal job 9-5, you would get more time off. More administrator math. Sick time? Personal time? Even the hardiest of us will get sick in this business and in urgent care you will see every snot rocket within a 25 mile radius and have them cough on you.

On the other hand, if you are willing to work like a dog to maximize your income and they offer you plenty of hours plus this will not be the job for your entire career, why not?

Good luck

G Brothers PA-C

Renewal should not come out of CME funds. CME funds are for CME. State lic and DEA are not CME. 

GB 

I agree- I'll probably fight them on this if I can. I'll have to see what the wording is on the actual contract before I sign. The lady I spoke with is relatively new and wasn't 100% sure. 

How many hours per week/month/year are you being offered?

Do you work a shift? 8hr? 10hr? 12hr?

What does full benefits mean? Health, life, dental?

15 days vacation is pretty slim. If you are working a longer shift and therefore less days per week, administrators will try to use that and say you have more time off. You don't. Basically they are saying if you work a normal job 9-5, you would get more time off. More administrator math. Sick time? Personal time? Even the hardiest of us will get sick in this business and in urgent care you will see every snot rocket within a 25 mile radius and have them cough on you.

On the other hand, if you are willing to work like a dog to maximize your income and they offer you plenty of hours plus this will not be the job for your entire career, why not?

Good luck

G Brothers PA-C

Full time - 40 hrs a week 

The shift lengths vary from 7hrs - 14 hrs

Vacation was listed as "3 wks/ 15 days with a credit of $4000/ yr"  - No mention of exclusive sick time or personal time. 

This would be a starting point for me - not sure i'd want to work nights/weekends for my entire career- but the opportunity to pick up weekend shifts at a premium sounds enticing given my large loan burden. 

What would you think is fair to negotiate for vacation/ sick time/ personal time? 

What is the $4k credit for? In case you don't take your vacation time they'll give you an additional $4k? That doesn't seen to be a good idea. Not healthy.

Also how or who determines the schedule? How do you feel about a "moving" schedule?

I think the 4k is the allowance for PTO - so any un-used time off would go into my paycheck at the end of the year. This was a bit unclear to me. 

Idk who determines my schedule - I assume the medical director. A "moving schedule" is fine with me - It's not ideal, but not out of the question. I'm single, no kids. I have no problem working odd hours - i'd be doing this in an ER environment as well, which i'm also considering. 

Archived