Lecom APAP

The science is worth mastering. It's hard no matter what. Do I remember every detail? Heck no...but I remember enough to know where to look it up and do a quick refresher, and the knowledge is right there where I can use it again in real time. It's like muscle memory. Especially useful for multisystem disease and understanding how one problem affects another and making safe, rational polypharmacy choices. I do about 50% geriatrics so I use this added knowledge many times a day.

A lot of medical school is slogging through month by month, sometimes week by week, and just keeping your head above water. Sound like PA school? It should. There are long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror and several "Eureka!"s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The science is worth mastering. It's hard no matter what. Do I remember every detail? Heck no...but I remember enough to know where to look it up and do a quick refresher, and the knowledge is right there where I can use it again in real time. It's like muscle memory. Especially useful for multisystem disease and understanding how one problem affects another and making safe, rational polypharmacy choices. I do about 50% geriatrics so I use this added knowledge many times a day.

A lot of medical school is slogging through month by month, sometimes week by week, and just keeping your head above water. Sound like PA school? It should. There are long periods of boredom punctuated by moments of sheer terror and several "Eureka!"s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I think most PAs that want more bridges think they are not practical likely due to family and the stability that they have. I have said I would only consider it if they started doing 3 yr med school/residency. I've thought maybe 1 yr didactic followed by a 2 yr residency or vice versa if you are going into your same field.

My question is: As an experienced PA that went to DO school, if you could develope your own system, how would it look? What would you emphasize, didactic or residency? Would random clinicals in you medical school still exist?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I have to chime in here. I am a Psych PA and I have been working in outpatient psych for 18 months. I have completed my CAQ in psychiatry, I see an average of 100-125 patients per week and I love being a PA. I love working in psychiatry. There is one other PA at our practice and a 3rd just left last month to work for a practice that does inpatient in the AM and outpatient in the afternoon.

I have so many great patients, I have really made a difference in so many of my patients lives. I say 'My Patient' as the staff MDs don't micro manage my decisions. I read a ton and I have been learning everything I can about psychiatry.

I agree that there are very few PAs that work in psych. According to the NCCPA report from 2013 only 1.1% of PAs work in psych. Psychiatrists are in short supply. They are also not paid very well in  comparison to other specialties. The last this I will say is my job satisfaction is high and my pay is pretty good too. I can't complain... Much... 

I agree that there are very few PAs that work in psych. According to the NCCPA report from 2013 only 1.1% of PAs work in psych. Psychiatrists are in short supply. They are also not paid very well in  comparison to other specialties. The last this I will say is my job satisfaction is high and my pay is pretty good too. I can't complain... Much... 

Could you tell us about your autonomy/scope? Also could you tell us about the expected salary range?

Archived