unique payment

Has anyone been payed on RVU's?

I will be getting an offer in psychiatry doing nursing home consultations (will be a part time job) but will be paid in RVU's.

I don't know what the number will be. I have heard from one other PA that this is usually a disadvantage to the PA. What has everyone else heard/experienced?

Thanks.

can be a great deal

LTC/NH can be very lucrative especially Psych

I would aim for 55% of collections - you have to figure out what the RVU rate is then take 55%

Assuming of course you are a W2 Employee - if not then ask for closer to 65% - BTW I do LTC for own company -great gig - low to no overhead and you schedule your own time

I'm leaving a salaried position and starting one that will pay wRVU's/RvUs and am a bit nervous.  I start at a lower guaranteed salary from my salaried position, but the PAs I talked to in the practice said they both easily exceed my salaried position within 6 months of practice.  I can switch to just wRVUs as soon as I'm ready and the numbers show I will be able to sustain them.  I am walking into a ready made practice from the retirement of a physician in Dec. 2014 and other physicians in that practice in the last 12 months.

I will have full access to my numbers per my contract and they organization does a sit-down review every 3 months to discuss and explain the numbers and show me the money! 

And Yes, Money is Important to Me.  So are the Patients. 

I'm leaving a salaried position and starting one that will pay wRVU's/RvUs and am a bit nervous. I start at a lower guaranteed salary from my salaried position, but the PAs I talked to in the practice said they both easily exceed my salaried position within 6 months of practice. I can switch to just wRVUs as soon as I'm ready and the numbers show I will be able to sustain them. I am walking into a ready made practice from the retirement of a physician in Dec. 2014 and other physicians in that practice in the last 12 months.

I will have full access to my numbers per my contract and they organization does a sit-down review every 3 months to discuss and explain the numbers and show me the money!

And Yes, Money is Important to Me. So are the Patients.

Interesting, what do you anticipate your total wRVUs per hour to be?

If I'm not mistake the CF (conversion factor) will remain as $35.82 or so but could be going down in the future. I'm not so sure I'm going to want to be paid based on a deflating number if I sign a contract.

I'm definitely not an expert on the subject but I'd love to be informed on what an adequate amount of wRVUs per hour would be needed to sustain a decent salary in an outpatient primary care setting.

Yeah that's the rub. To try to figure it out before signing a contract was nearly impossible. Plus I was interviewed in 2014 and offered job before the 2015 criteria was published. I was told if I see average 14 pts a day I will be above the median AMGA data and salary for PAs and will get paid at whatever level that reflects. I took the job for some extenuating circumstances and liked the group. It will be different for me to go from a small rural FQHC to a larger area and to a group pravtice. I do think the negotiation power is diminished in these set ups as we are fighting town hall so to speak. I was unsuccessful in negotiating a higher guaranteed salary to start with. I'll report back in 6 months and let you know. I am at the end of my career and feel I hit the pinnacle of FP salary at the FQHC since it was working with some uninformed people who understood why I deserved the higher salary compared to the NP who had been there for 18 years. The council that approved my salary made that one good decision but it became hell to work there after 3 years.

Archived