used and abused- need advice from seasoned derm PAs

This is the exact reason why one should NEVER tak a job that has below average pay..... all it does is enable the physician to abuse you and you have a better likelyhood of getting struck by lightening or winning the lottery, then getting a fair raise and compensation.....

I would work towards getting you Medicare Provider number (as this will be required by other practices)

Then get another job offer...... bring it to your SP and state that your "training period" is over and you need to move on in your career, ie just like he did at the end of residency......  give him the details of your offer from someone else... see how the cards fall

good luck, and a great post to show why you should not accept sub par offers

You are being used as an assistant and secretary.  You know it is time to leave.  Do what Ventatna says.  Do you love derm so much you never want to practice in any other specialty?  

It is concerning that you were never enrolled in insurance plans.....you do not exist and the physician is making all the money on your back. 

Good luck. 

@kmd, not here for a pity party. I received helpful tips above. my main goal is to not make the same mistake twice.

That's why I'm asking for others to post basic salaries and benefits. Plus, I need guidance on how to negotiate and make my resume more appealing.

@dermPA703:  Have you thought about a plastics surgery practice, or working in a burn unit?  You might need to expand your horizons to get another job if the derm opportunities are slim in your area.  

For your resume:  Focus on your strengths and what you know and have proficiency doing.  A good cover letter can highlight that you are ready for a new challenge in advancing your knowledge of dermatology.  I'm not an expert in writing a resume but I think the topic of resume writing is on here somewhere?  Maybe under contracts and negotiation topics?

@kmd, not here for a pity party. I received helpful tips above. my main goal is to not make the same mistake twice.

That's why I'm asking for others to post basic salaries and benefits. Plus, I need guidance on how to negotiate and make my resume more appealing.

Great! First, you've got to acknowledge the fact that the situation you found yourself is a sad one indeed. By doing so, you learn your mistakes and move on. A pity party, not necessarily.

I would get a hard copy of AAPA salary report and your respective state PA organization salary report and have this handy next time you negotiate. Asking ppl to post there basic salary and bennies I'm not sure if that the best way to go about it.

With respect to seeking guidance on how to negotiate and ' make my resume more appealing ' Have you thought about taking advantage free service at the career Ctr of the PA program you graduated from or contacting your school for help.

You want to build on your confident and skills set. Do a 1 yr residency. Move out of your comfort zone to where you'll be valued. After you gain experience, move back home/locales. You'll be surprise how much negotiating power you'll have.

If dermatologist field isn't working out. Pick another specialty e-g FM. Do some time in FM, or while at the FM job, you could continue w/ your current employer PT ( if possible) or elsewhere or at a free clinic. You just can't limit yourself. I've sad this many times on this forum that as a new grad, you just can't limit yourself by going directly into specialty or subspecialty. If things doesn't work out, then you're screw or it becomes harder to gain employment in an unrelated field.

...I doubt he would ever change the terms of the contract- I have worked for him for a year, and know he wouldn't. He has had employees work for him for several years- they are hourly and have zero benefits- no one has gotten a raise ever. And, if I say I will walk away, he will just hire another new grad like he did with me. So people like him will continue to use and abuse people of our profession, regardless of if I stay or go.

I just want to compensated my fair share!

Every PA program needs a recent grad PA to come in and share a horror story such as this, before graduation. The only way to end the cycle of predatory employers is to educate new grads about them.

Someone else is going to walk into the same trap you did, as soon as you walk out the door. New PAs need to be able to combat this, avoid these jobs at all costs, and let the predatory docs running them wither on the vine when they can't get any applicants with their crap offers.

I'm sure there are swamped family practices that would love to have you... I just hope that "703" in your name doesn't mean NoVA (terrible PA market).

It's that time of year...

contract renewal!

***i have student loans and living expenses to pay off, so if any seasoned PAs who have advice or solid tips, please help!!!!!! i ask you kindly to read the following.

I was originally under a 1 year contract, which i have completed. my boss seems to be on top of EVERYTHING except when it comes to the possibilitiy of giving me my fair dues.

he has not mentioned signing a new contract and neither have i for a few reasons. i have wanted to go over contract negotions, but i know it will be a losing battle. im a free agent as of now, and am strongly considering quitting my current position.

hence, i have been looking for another derm pa job in vain. there are no derm pa job openings in the area!

here are the terms of my contract for my FIRST job out of PA school:

-it was 70 k for the first 6 months, then increased to 75K afterward

-no benefits, except a 3k addition to my SALARY that was supposed to be allotted for my personal health insurance plan (so im paying taxes on this so called "benefit")

-hence, my actual current salary --> 78K

-only 10 days PTO (including sick days, CME days)

-malpractice covered, but no tail coverage

-no CME credit

-no 401K plan offered

-no productivity bonuses

i do admit i work for a SP who was and STILL scared to delegate more responsbilities to me. my contract did state i would be "trained," however, i have had to learn on the go from day 1. there have been some STEEP learning curves!

that being said, i feel like i should be at higher level in my career as of now.

my current responsibilies are:

-taking h&ps

-efficient with EMR's

-i see around 22 patients a day, but my SP still sees the patient in the end bc:

he never registered with me insurance companies, so all the billing will be under his name. even if he sees a patient for 10 seconds! that's fine, bc im a salaried employee. but, it has its downfalls. i feel like patients do not give me the amount of respect as they do with my SP. the office hasnt really helped educate or introduce my role as a provider.

-my hours: M-Thurs 9-6, and Friday 9-1 and im never am on call (but i still have had countless days where i have had to stay overtime to complete piles of paperwork at the end of the day)

-on busy days, with procedures, i usually do simple closures

-i am comfortable with treating the basics: acne, rosacea, psoriasis, eczema, alopecia, seb derm, tinea versicolor, melasma, etc. 

-i have been trained with an IPL machine

-fill out prior auths, refill requests, and go over pathology reports

im NOT allowed or given the chance to:

-do cpt coding or billing

-do simple procedures on my own, even under supervision (i can do simple closures and i know if i was given the chance, i would be able to do basic stuff like removing cysts, lipomas, etc)

-i can only disclose "benign" pathology reports- i am not allowed to call, discuss and schedule procedures/MOHs for pts with skin cancers- even though i am comfortable doing so

-do skin checks (i sometimes assist my SP when he is in the mood, and when we have a light patient load for the day)

-cannot prescribe biologics, esp for my psoriasis patients (although, i see them during their f/u appts, give them pt education, etc).

-do botox or fillers (even though my main interest in medical derm, i need to add more to my derm repertoire)

at this point, i know i have to leave, but i don't want to put myself in a position where i will suffer financially. i am trying to apply to other places, but i need help how to make my resume appealing to local derms.

if there are ANY northern VA derm PAs here, please give me some stats on what your employee baseline salary and benefits include. or if you know of any other derm PAs, post to this thread.

im ready to make a leap, but don't want to be put myself in a similar position my next job either.

warm regards.

I'm an uncertified medical assistant at a dermatology clinic and many of your job duties are the same as mine! ...except I am actually allowed to discuss and schedule appointments for skin cancer treatments. Hopefully with one year of experience you can find a new job that better values you and your degree!   

You want to build on your confident and skills set. Do a 1 yr residency. Move out of your comfort zone to where you'll be valued. After you gain experience, move back home/locales. You'll be surprise how much negotiating power you'll have.

If dermatologist field isn't working out. Pick another specialty e-g FM. Do some time in FM, or while at the FM job, you could continue w/ your current employer PT ( if possible) or elsewhere or at a free clinic. You just can't limit yourself. I've sad this many times on this forum that as a new grad, you just can't limit yourself by going directly into specialty or subspecialty. If things doesn't work out, then you're screw or it becomes harder to gain employment in an unrelated field.

Archived