Most common meds?

I like this book:

Patient-Centered Pharmacology Learning System for the Conscientious Prescriber [Print Replica] [Kindle Edition]

William N Tindall (Author)Mona M Sedrak (Author)John M Boltri (Author)

But for practical pharmacology ie what you will likely prescribe, go to:

http://www.rxlist.com/script/main/hp.asp

Scroll half way down to top 200 US drugs, click on By Prescriptions Dispensed tab.

Anecdotally, had a student doing an ED rotation with me. Had a pt barfing their brains out. Asked him what antiemetic he would use. He wanted to order something I had never heard of. Did a lil bit of on the spot research, found that it was an antiemetic only available in Canada. So why did someone teach him that?

Last, could subscribe to The Medical Letter Online, $98 per year. The Treatment Guidelines section would be ultrahelpful.

Good luck.

G Brothers PA-C

Yeah this is difficult to do. Honestly you will begin to learn them as you Rx then in the clinical phase of your program and once you are a PA.

As far as reference if you have access through your school, uptodate or lexicon have all doses for indications. I use this regularly to check doses, CIs, cross rxn etc at work. With time you will learn common doses of BP meds, abx etc. and most places EMR has the doses in there so you get used to knowing what you want. When in doubt for a new med just start low and titrate up.

Another website though I can't say it's as reliable as uptodate is drugs.com

As far as knowing "for dog bite give xyz" etc, I recommend medscape or epocrates app. And the above book is good I used it through school but is too big to be a quick reference.

Archived