Other Science Classes

Does anybody know what classes fall under the other science category? Does psychology? I am trying to find classes that fall under the other science category to raise both my cumulative GPA but more importantly my science GPA.

Q: What subjects are included in my Science GPA?

A: Your Science GPA is calculated based on these courses:

• Biology/Zoology
  • Inorganic Chemistry
  • Biochemistry
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Other Science
  • Physics

Q: What subjects are included in my Non-Science GPA?

A: Your Non-Science GPA is calculated based on these courses:

• Math
  • English
  • Other Non-Science
  • Behavioral Science

https://www.caspaonline.org/applicants2011/faq/gpas.htm#Q6

COURSE SUBJECTS LIST:

The CASPA Course Subjects for the 2010–2011 Cycle are:

Biochemistry

• Biochemistry
  • Physiological Chemistry

Biology/Zoology

• Animal Science
  • Anatomy
  • Bacteriology
  • Biology
  • Botany
  • Cellular & Molecular Biology
  • Cellular Physiology
  • Earth Science
  • Ecology
  • Endocrinology
  • Evolution
  • Genetics
  • Hematology
  • Histology
  • Immunology
  • Microbiology
  • Micro-Organisms
  • Natural Science
  • Neurology
  • Oceanography
  • Parasitology
  • Pathology
  • Physiology
  • Virology
  • Zoology

English/Literature

• Bible Literature
  • Composition
  • English
  • ESL (English as a Second Language)
  • Journalism
  • Literature
  • Medical Terminology
  • Poetry
  • Reading Skills
  • Theater Literature
  • Rhetoric

Inorganic Chemistry

• Chemistry, General
  • Medical Chemistry
  • Pharmaceutical Chemistry
  • Physical Chemistry
  • Qualitative Analysis
  • Quantitative Analysis
  • Readings in Chemistry
  • Research in Chemistry
  • Special Topics in Chemistry
  • Structures & Bonds

Math

• Algebra
  • Behavioral Statistics
  • Biostatistics
  • Biometry
  • Calculus
  • Chemical Math
  • Computer Science
  • Math
  • Statistics

Non-Science

• Accounting
  • Acting
  • Agriculture
  • Archeology
  • Art
  • Art History
  • Business
  • Communications
  • Cultural Geography
  • Dance
  • Education
  • Ethics
  • Economics
  • Fire Aid
  • Foreign Language
  • Forestry
  • Geography
  • Government
  • Health/Personal Hygiene
  • History
  • Human Geography
  • Humanities
  • Law
  • Logic
  • Management
  • Marketing
  • Military Science
  • Music
  • Philosophy
  • Physical Education
  • Political Science
  • Religion
  • Social Ethics
  • Theater
  • Theology
  • Western Civilization
  • Women's Studies

Organic Chemistry

• Bio-Organic Chemistry
  • Organic Chemistry
  • Readings in Organic Chemistry
  • Special Topics in Organic Chemistry

Other Science

• Agricultural Science
  • Astronomy
  • Bioethics
  • Chiropractic
  • Dentistry
  • Electronics
  • Emergency Med-Tech
  • Engineering
  • Epidemiology
  • Environmental Science
  • Exercise Physiology
  • Exercise Science
  • Geology
  • Gerontology
  • Health Science
  • Kinesiology
  • Medical Technology
  • Meteorology
  • Nursing
  • Nutrition
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Pharmacology
  • Physical Anthropology
  • Physical Geography
  • Physical Science
  • Physical Therapy
  • Physician Assistant
  • Public Health
  • Radiology
  • Respiratory Therapy
  • Sport Medicine
  • Teaching Science

Physics

• Electricity & Light
  • Magnetism
  • Mechanical Heat
  • Physics
  • Thermodynamics

Social/Behavioral Science

• Anthropology
  • Community Health
  • Criminal Justice
  • Educational Psychology
  • Ethnic Studies
  • Human Development
  • Human Sexuality
  • Marriage/Family
  • Personal Health
  • Physiological Ethics
  • Psychology
  • Social Science
  • Social Work/Sociology

https://www.caspaonline.org/applicants2011/instruction/Coursework.htm

okay nevermind about the psych class, cause i just figured it out that it is considered a behavior science which falls under the non-science GPA...

I know pharmacology and EMT are considered... but the question still remains the same... what are some other science classes? Do classes such as biotech, heath education classes, biological psychology, nutrition classes, and so forth count as other science classes?

Wow thanks for breaking it down for me heme! I tried going to to the CASPA website but they only tell you how they calculate the separate GPAs but they do not say what classes fall into which categories...

They actually do, it's just sort of hard to find ... the links are listed after the referenced texts, respectively ...

sounds like a health science course to me

in all honesty we can tell you what we want based on what we know but in the end its up to CASPA. they can change the classification based on their own. they put one or two under "other science" that I didnt and changed one to a non science category that I thought was an other science

didnt mess up my GPA calculation too much because I was truly looking at the BCP calculation. if you want to raise your science GPA I would honestly try to raise the BCP (biology-chemistry-physics) calculation and take bio courses and chem courses. side note...while intro courses do not count for PA program pre-reqs (i.e. introductory bio and introductory chem) they do count towards the BCP totals...at least mind did

well i really appreciate it... i am trying to calculate my GPA again cause I seem to have mis-categorized some classes

but what about a class called health education? non-science?

yeah that makes sense... and thanks... I guess I will just stick the courses outlined by CASPA for my other science classes. I have pretty much already taken or retaken all the BCP classes from city college that I can take which is why I am looking into "other science" courses. As for intro courses, yes they would be extremely easy As but it will be a waste of my time because I doubt that I will learn anything, and for the schools evaluating my transcripts, I would guess that they would not think to highly of someone taking all these difficult science courses such as anatomy, physio, chem, ochem and only to go back to intro classes. However, if it comes down to being the only classes available I will be sure to take them.

sounds like a health science course to me

in all honesty we can tell you what we want based on what we know but in the end its up to CASPA. they can change the classification based on their own. they put one or two under "other science" that I didnt and changed one to a non science category that I thought was an other science

didnt mess up my GPA calculation too much because I was truly looking at the BCP calculation. if you want to raise your science GPA I would honestly try to raise the BCP (biology-chemistry-physics) calculation and take bio courses and chem courses. side note...while intro courses do not count for PA program pre-reqs (i.e. introductory bio and introductory chem) they do count towards the BCP totals...at least mind did

yeah that makes sense... and thanks... I guess I will just stick the courses outlined by CASPA for my other science classes. I have pretty much already taken or retaken all the BCP classes from city college that I can take which is why I am looking into "other science" courses. As for intro courses, yes they would be extremely easy As but it will be a waste of my time because I doubt that I will learn anything, and for the schools evaluating my transcripts, I would guess that they would not think to highly of someone taking all these difficult science courses such as anatomy, physio, chem, ochem and only to go back to intro classes. However, if it comes down to being the only classes available I will be sure to take them.

I wouldnt necessarly say that.....I was never questioned about an essentials of a&p course that Im currently registered for but I did mention in my interview that I had planned to take a refresher course or two

As far as BCP courses many of the courses that come to mind typically are not available at a city college (at least my junior college did not offer them)....usually you have to go to a university or 4 year to take them. Examples: virology, immunology, genetics, pathophysiology, endocrinology, molecular biology and other 3000-4000 level courses. Many of these courses are also available at grad level (USF has quite a few medical graduate courses available online if you decide to go that route).

Archived