Elective Rotation and/or EM Residency

2nd year PA student wanting to go into EM.

Have a 2 month rotation in EM under belt.

Wondering if my elective rotation should be in EM and/or consider an EM residency after graduation, in order to be competitive for EM positions.

Thanks

definitely do a residency.

great electives for em include peds em, trauma surgery, anesthesiology, and critical care.

Just to play devils advocate- Do the ERs in the area you want to practice offer full scope? If not, are you willing to relocate to maximize the skills from a residency?

For example, the ER I'm at starts us off in Fast track with a gradual introduction to main ED after about a year, depending.

Some of the other local ERs are strictly fast track regardless of residency or not. I would check the location you want to work to ensure you can practice at the top of your scope after residency (if you choose to do one).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to play devils advocate- Do the ERs in the area you want to practice offer full scope? If not, are you willing to relocate to maximize the skills from a residency? For example, the ER I'm at starts us off in Fast track with a gradual introduction to main ED after about a year, depending. Some of the other local ERs are strictly fast track regardless of residency or not. I would check the location you want to work to ensure you can practice at the top of your scope after residency (if you choose to do one). Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if someone came to your shop fresh out of em pa residency with a procedure log showing many codes, central lines, intubations, etc wouldn't they start this person out covering both main and fast track? many places will do this for residency grads. we just hired one. she is going on solo nights at our satellite facility her first month there when generally this takes 1-2 years at least.

2nd year PA student wanting to go into EM.

Have a 2 month rotation in EM under belt.

Wondering if my elective rotation should be in EM and/or consider an EM residency after graduation, in order to be competitive for EM positions.

Thanks

Do both if you can.

You will need references to get into the residency, cant hurt to get good references from ED staff aimed at getting you into the residency.

If you can afford to do the residency, then do it. I just cant see the downside career wise.

Good luck.

GB PA-C

if someone came to your shop fresh out of em pa residency with a procedure log showing many codes, central lines, intubations, etc wouldn't they start this person out covering both main and fast track? many places will do this for residency grads. we just hired one. she is going on solo nights at our satellite facility her first month there when generally this takes 1-2 years at least.

In my locale they might be able to, but my devils advocate position was more for those that don't have PAs in the main ED. Thus, requiring either relocation or getting into a hospital you don't want to work at that has PAs in main.

The question I'm begging is this: Since all ED sites employ PAs differently regardless of residency, have you (OP):

1) looked into how PAs are utilized in the area/location you want to work?

2) willing to relocate if those EDs don't have PAs in main?

In my locale they might be able to, but my devils advocate position was more for those that don't have PAs in the main ED. Thus, requiring either relocation or getting into a hospital you don't want to work at that has PAs in main.

The question I'm begging is this: Since all ED sites employ PAs differently regardless of residency, have you (OP):

1) looked into how PAs are utilized in the area/location you want to work?

2) willing to relocate if those EDs don't have PAs in main?

As someone who interviewed at a few residencies earlier this year,  I would just like to add that several of the soon-to-be graduating PA residents that I met with during my interviews were negotiating full-scope jobs at ERs that had 1) never allowed PAs to work in the main ED or 2) never used PAs at all but were known to be excellent departments. 

I absolutely agree that it is wise to familiarize yourself with how PAs in your region are utilized in the ED.  However, it seems like the value of a residency, especially in EM, is really starting to be recognized by employers.  As such, you might very well be afforded the opportunity to redefine how PAs are utilized in your area as there are still only a few hundred PAs nationwide who are residency trained in EM.

Archived