Adjusting to shadowing

I am shadowing a PA working in an endocrinology/nephrology office. This PA see all office patients and physician rounds. I am an ICU RN of 4 years. The point of explaining that, I'm used to being highly involved with the care of my patients, and am having troubling finding ways to be helpful or at least feel like I'm not in the way while shadowing.

Nothing has been expressed or such that I can tell, but I want to make a good impression.

Shadowing is exactly what it sounds like...you will not be expected to be involved in the care that goes on while you are shadowing. It is usually expected that you take a back seat role while shadowing and ask questions to the PA throughout the day.  The PA you are shadowing is likely not looking for an assistant

I'm sorry I definitely didnt think I needed to be their assistant. Just really struggling with twiddling my thumbs on how to make an impression for a potential LOR writer, besides trying to ask engaging questions/get to know them personally.

I think they like it if you are involved in asking questions throughout the day! 

Also, I met with one of the PAs I shadowed at a coffee shop where we could talk when she wasn't busy. It's hard because during their workday they don't have all the time in the world. So you could arrange a meeting outside of work, too.

• 4 weeks later...

My friend, please be careful as it may land you in trouble while you are on rotations. Just make yourself believe you know nothing. Forget the past where you were in the core of action. This is difficult sometimes but you got to do what you got to do. As for the LOR, ask people who are happy to give you one.

I sense that one of your goals is to impress the PA and them have them write a letter of recommendation. Not a great idea, unless you are going to be there for many days.

As has been said, just watch and let the PA take the lead. Don't ask questions with the patient there unless he encourages you to. Ask questions when you are alone and don't try to impress him with your questions.

Pretend that your eye is a camera and you're shooting a video of what his life is like. Try to picture yourself with his job, in his office, with his coworkers. 

I sense that one of your goals is to impress the PA and them have them write a letter of recommendation. Not a great idea, unless you are going to be there for many days.

As has been said, just watch and let the PA take the lead. Don't ask questions with the patient there unless he encourages you to. Ask questions when you are alone and don't try to impress him with your questions.

Pretend that your eye is a camera and you're shooting a video of what his life is like. Try to picture yourself with his job, in his office, with his coworkers.

This PA is super approachable, asks me a lot of questions about myself and where I want to go. They allow me text to communicate for days I can go in. I am going to shadow them for 80 or so hours (one PA school I am looking at requires 100 apparently). Anyways yes my main goals are to satisfy this requirement and also get to know them well enough for an LOR ( this PA is s pretty recent graduate from my #1 choice). I'm going to wait till the end of my hours and gauge our relationship and then ask for an LOR If appropriate.

From a non-PA and fellow potential applicant, the way I always saw it was that shadowing was more for getting a feel for how a PA works in a certain environment. I'm sure you know the operations in an ICU; now you are observing how a PA works in an office setting - not really learning about complicated diabetics. 

Not sure really how to be "impressive" other than being attentive, personable, not in the way and not a dweeb. That's the best I got. 

Archived