Do schools look at this favorably or does it make no difference?

I just got a job working with people who have mental disabilities. From what I have been told, it counts towards my hours of direct patient care experience. I know a lot of programs like when people work with underserved communities so does this include the people I work with? Also, do schools look at me working and still getting good grades at the same time or does it not matter?

I'm basically just worried about how my application will stand out. A lot of people become EMTs or CNAs which is great experience, and I'm just kind of wondering if I will be pushed down a little because my experience isn't typical.

• Administrator

Everyone else competitive is also getting good grades and working at the same time, so no, it doesn't particularly matter.

Working with developmentally disabled folks may or may not count as patient care experience, depending on what you're doing and how a school is looking at it.  Working as a CNA or MA with developmentally disabled people would be better than doing the exact same job as an un-certified employee, so I don't see that what you describe will in any may make your application "stand out". You may still get in, but nothing about what you've posted has a large "wow" factor attached.

I have been told by a person involved with admissions that that particular program does look at work load including both course load and working hours. However, I don't believe that will get you ahead of someone with a higher GPA. I got the impression that this sort of thing is more of a tie-breaker. 

As far as working with people with mental disabilities goes it will probably count at some programs, but it will not be as high regarded at physically hands on providing care or giving injections. 

Working in an underserved community will also be noted as a plus, but don't count on it to boost you past someone with more or better experience. 

Everything you've mentioned is a plus on your application, but like rev said above, there is no large "wow" factor. Not compared to someone with a high GPA and HCE as a paramedic or nurse. My advice is to keep strengthening your application with the best grades and the best hands-on medical experience you can get. 

Archived