HCE Questions/Advice Going Forward

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to the forum, but I have enjoyed reading through a lot of responses in the pre-PA subgroup; it's answered a lot of questions for me but has also brought to light more questions that I did not know I had.  I hope this is the right place to be posting this type of thing (if not, sorry!)

I guess my main question is that regarding HCE.  I have close to 1000 hours of experience working in a psych hospital as a mental health associate, and will have at least 280 hours of volunteering at two different hospitals (think central transport, patient access, and some departmental work).  I'm well-aware I'm going to need much more HCE before applying, and after doing a bit of research I'm considering getting my EMT-B license.  My first question goes out to EMTs... I am currently living in the Boston area and I was wondering what the job outlook/placement was like for this.  I've heard it can be quite difficult to find positions on an ambulance, but I was really hoping to utilize this to become an ER tech.  Is this feasible?  Any ER techs out there who can provide their past experience and what I would need to do this?  And is an ER tech even a good form of HCE for applying to PA school?

I originally wanted to apply for 2015, but I just don't feel my experience is adequate enough yet.  I really want to start getting more patient interaction soon this upcoming spring, and going through EMT-B certification (the soonest I can) wouldn't get me my license until at least June.  I know this is unlikely, but are there any fast track ways of becoming an ER tech or getting more patient interaction without 6 months of training? (I'm assuming RN or CNA training would be similar)

I would appreciate any and all feedback you guys have.  Thanks!

yeah Im looking to gain more HCE but the schooling duration for most are crucial and im not young anymore so time is of the essence.  CNA is 6-12 weeks and heard it is straight grunt work though there are a plethora of jobs they dont pay much.  EMT(B,I, or P) is 1-2 yrs with paramedic being the longest(at least a full 1.5 yrs) so depends on what you want.  Im still debating....EMT is more crucial I think because it is hands-on constantly plus it is so much dynamic in areas you are bound to gain exp. quickly

Archived