GRE/Waiting Game

At this point, I am starting to lose hope.I submitted my CASPA application in early May.  I've applied to a total of 10 programs (mostly all in Florida) and have already been rejected by 4. 

Everyone says GRE scores aren't weighted as much, but it's clearly what's stopping me from receiving an interview.

I am currently working on my MPH (graduating in May, yay!). I feel like I have a pretty solid resume/experiences, but I know my GRE scores are just abysmal (147/148). 

Is anyone in a similar situation? Any advice on how to move forward? I am slowly accepting the fact that I will not hear back from any of the schools this year (which I'm okay with).

I just don't really know what else to do to prepare for next cycle, other than retaking the GRE again (this will be my 4th time - I'm just a really poor standardize test taker). 

Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.39
Science Undergrad. GPA: 2.9
Graduate Ed School: University of South Florida - Master's in Public Health
Cumulative Graduate GPA:  3.6
Direct Patient Care : (type & hours) Medical Assistant in a HIV/AIDS clinic ~1000 hours

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Medical mission trips (Dominican Republic, Panama); worked as an epidemiologist for the health department, investigated chronic hepatitis C cases/provided education 1000+ hours

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I just don't think you can accept that you are "a poor standardized test taker." Many schools do all of their testing on computers and the PANCE is a standardized test as well.

I think that it's time to take the bull by the horns and get help with your test taking skills. You are being held back by something that is generally a learnable skill. Start with the counseling center at your current school and go from there.

Good luck!

Get your sgpa up with a blitzkrieg of cc courses.

Did you take practice GRE tests using a book intended to prepare you?  I would abandon the GRE at this point and apply to schools that do not require it.  I will also say I do not know the current scale and have no opinion of the score you got.

My plan after graduation is to really buckle down and study the test strategies (I'm even willing to pay for those prep courses at this point).

I know some of my public health courses (epidemiology, microbio for healthcare workers) counts as 'other science courses'.

I guess I'm just a bit frustrated. On the old scale, my GRE scores is a 998 (ouch!). I was hoping the programs would sort of bypass my GRE scores and see that I'm already working on my masters.

But thank you both for the feedback! I just need to find a way to keep up my spirits. 

• 2 months later...

I am also stuck between retaking the GRE or just applying to schools that don't require it. I feel like the bulk of the decision is in everything but the GRE, but if you get an excellent score it can help you. I am applying for the first time in April and I am not sure if it would be in my best interest to study my bum off and retake the GRE. I have a solid list of schools I want to apply to that don't require it, but then again am I limiting my options? Any feedback is great!

Thank you both for your suggestion. I am confused with CASPA's GPA calculator and what really constitutes as a science GPA? Are programs only looking at BCP?

Different programs look at different aspects of your academic history. You'll have to do the research for each of the ones that you would like to attend. E.g., some place more weight on you last 60 (or so) hours. Most do put a lot of consideration into your science GPA (makes sense given a lot of what you'll be learning in PA school).

Some programs waive the GRE requirement entirely if you already have a masters completed.

As far the calculations, there are two sections of the CASPA FAQ to read and understand. One is the section on the GPA calculations. The other is the section on CASPA Course Subjects. With the two I was able to check 100% of CASPA's calculations of my 6 different transcripts.

I agree that it could be your science GPA; not sure what it would be with your grad science classes factored in.

The GRE isn't so bad - just memorize as many words as possible and study hard under timed conditions for a few weeks leading up to it. But like others have said, GRE scores don't seem to be that important - many of the averages posted on program websites that I have seen are surprisingly low.

Most schools will accept a GRE score of 300 and some will actually break down the minimum scores for the quantitative, verbal, and writing portions, and a lot of schools do require GRE (I applied to 18 schools on the east coast and over half required GRE, this is my experience it may differ for you). You don't have to take the GRE, but it definitely widens the pool of schools to apply to. As stated elsewhere on the pre-PA section, you should also apply broadly, and have safety schools.

Also, make sure you are careful to at least meet the minimum requirements for each school you apply to such the appropriate prereq class, GPA, GRE scores, HCE, etc. Some people overlook one or two things and their applications are automatically rejected without knowing why. Good Luck.

Archived