Tangential question

Let's say someone is a family doc (did a 3 year FM residency) but wants to work emerg shifts, is that allowed in the USA? It is common in Canada to see family docs working emerg in rural/underserviced hospitals but for the more major urban places they require the family doc to have an extra year of emerg specific training.

and most of the FP docs who were able to practice EM  under the grandfather clause( they were allowed to take boards with 5 yrs of EM experience before 1982ish) are retired or retiring.

I guess that depends on what you mean by "practice EM".  The grandfathered FP docs were allowed to challenge the EM boards for a long time, up until just a few years ago (I can't remember when). 

However, if a FP doc is working shifts in the ED, then I think he is at the time "practicing EM".  This still happens in many rural hospitals who can't afford the $135-$200/hr that a board certified EP brings in. 

I guess that depends on what you mean by "practice EM".  The grandfathered FP docs were allowed to challenge the EM boards for a long time, up until just a few years ago (I can't remember when). 

However, if a FP doc is working shifts in the ED, then I think he is at the time "practicing EM".  This still happens in many rural hospitals who can't afford the $135-$200/hr that a board certified EP brings in. 

the practice track for primary care docs to take the em boards without residency closed in the 80s. there are some other organizations that claim to give board certification in em but they are not recognized at most places. ABEM is the gold standard. lots of rural places still use FP docs in EDs but they are not board certified in em.

Yep, what EMED said. My understanding is this is the difference between seeing "a Board-certified emergency physician" and "seeing a doctor in the ER."

yup 3 options:

residency trained/board certified em

Primary care trained/board certified em (practice pathway folks from the 70s and 80s)

Primary care trained/primary care boarded (lots of rural ED docs)

Would a PA working in rural EM with an SP who is only PC boarded, but works the rural ED, be an issue?

In another thread the issue of seeing peds pts. with a new IM SP in family practice was raised. Seems similar.

nope, as long as the scope of practice of the PA does not exceed that of their SP (who themselves is practicing full scope emergency medicine).

I have 1 per diem job with a very short delegation of services agreement. it says " the practice of emergency medicine seeing all patients presenting to the department and utilizing all techniques and procedures utilized in emergency medicine". it's the same credentialing standard written for the docs there. I love that job and hope to be there full time in a few years.

Archived