"When do I get to see the 'real' doctor?"

UGH!!! My supervising doc and I had the most rude and wierd patient the other day. First when I took her back and introduced myself she was immediately annoyed. "I want to see and talk to the doctor only" she said. She then proceeded to tell me that her medical information is confidential and she does not want to share it with anyone else. She also said that she was paying for a doctor and that's who she wants to see. I proceeded to tell her that the doctor and I work together as a team to ensure the best healthcare for our patients and that in order to see the doc she had to see me and that is our office policy. She was out of control and refused to talk to me so I went and brought my supervising doc into the room. He explained to her that I am his PA and we work together as a team. He also told the patient that she would see him almost every visit but that I would almost always interview her and perform the physical exam for the visits. The patient said that her life is confidential and she wasn;t about to share it with a doctors "assistant." Fortunately my doc stood up for me and said "well then I guess it isn't going to work out then is it?" My doc proceeded to tell the patient that I provide excellent healthcare and that our exisiting patients are very happy with the care they receive from both providers. She was just terrible and I feel so insulted by her. What experiences have you all had? I hate the endless questions like "Why didn't you just go to medical school?" or "When are you going to finish medical school and become a real doctor?" "When do I get to see the real doctor?" What do all of you say to these questions???? Debi :mad:

Guest garbage

Awww...Sorry to hear that. I wouldn't worry about it. You know how people are. U realize u have ot deal with people like that in healthcare right?! =) I'm a med tech and although its not the most glorious job people don't know much about it or respect it much either. I have to draw blood on people and man, some people can be nasty! Well, I won't go into details but yeah when u become a doctor/healthcare provider....u have to deal with people. Most laypeople don't know much about PA's. I admit 4 or 5 years ago u would mention Physician assistant and I'd be like what?! a doctor's assistant? I didn't know much about the career. Now working in the health field I have a clearer picture. People don't seem to realize that healthcare is a team effort and behind it works a variety of people! Not just nurses and doctors, but MT's, RT's, clinical asst's, researchers, adminstrators. Doctors aren't the whole deal. Oh wells.

I did hear someone mention that PA's don't have a strong lobby. MT's sorta do...they're backed by pathologist society. U should get yer society or whatever to have some doctors in it, not just PA's to create more awareness so people like u just encountered don't act so ignorant.

About 10 years ago I went in to see a patient in the ER who had a laceration above her eyebrow. It was early July. I intoduced myself as a PA and looked her over....told her she needed sutures, etc., etc. She responded " I only want a doctor to take care of this". My response was, "sure, no problem". A couple of seconds later I went back in and said...."you might want to consider this....I have been working in this ER for 10 years....and yes, I would be happy to have "the doctor" see you....in fact, considering that it is July, and he has been a doctor for about a week, I'm sure he would be happy to sew your face....he probably hasn't had a chance to do too many of them".

Needless to say, she practically threw herself at me and apologized up and down. The laceration came out just fine. ;)

Guest annrita

I can't mention the number of times I've told of my acceptance to PA school to a DOCTOR -- only to have him/her say: "Why do you want to be a tech? Didn't you just spend two years taking science courses??" or "I don't understand why you just don't go to medical school."

So, it is not just the lay public that needs education...

Ann

I'm with Bob-

if at my solo gig I tell them that there is no doc on at night but they can wait for 12 hrs in the waiting room until one arrives. if in the main er I explain to them that there will be a 2 hr plus wait to see a doc because their chart will go to the back of the rack again with a requests md only sticker on it. what's really great is when the doc goes to see them for their complex facial lac and says" the pa really should do this. they do a lot more of these than I do and will get you a better cosmetic result :)

or if a resident goes in and then asks me to walk them through the procedure because they have never done one :)

Debcpa, You know half of the population has below average intelligence, and of those many are fruit cakes. Mrs. Toolman taught me to think of weirdos as "psych pts". That is, when they go off, don't react to what they're saying like it's to you PERSONALLY. Just say something like, "Hmmm, that's interesting. And how long have you felt that way?" You know, not those words exactly, but that reaction to what they're saying.

It takes YOU out of the situation.

firsat I agree with Bob and E, no doc here--closest one is about 45 minutes and expect a 3-6 hour wait. There are a room full of people that are waiting to see me.

second, it sticks but a patient has every right to request the physician. We are good at what we do but we are not docs. Make a big enough stink about this and soon enough people will complain to their ins company and PA visits simply will not be reimbursed.

Smile and state " the doctor cannot see you today, please mention on the phone when making an apointment that you are a "doctor only" patient." Of course his schedule is far backed up and all "urgent" (sore throats, back aches) are gennerally taken by myself to ensure a timely apt. :)

I recently left a private internal medicine practice after 7 years.....went to a local hospital-sponsored practice (better salary, benefits, etc)...located about 6 miles from my old office. Over the ensuing weeks, approximately 80 patients followed me to the new practice....I found that quite gratifying.

Ed

Man I already relate to this and I've only just bee accepted to PA school.

Nobody seems to know what a PA is! I want a bit of recognition ya know? We work damn hard to get into PA school and get the grades, and people just assume its something menial. Argh! I've had to explain so many times that what I am doing is not nursing or a medical tech.

I am in my second month of my 3 month preceptorship at a family practice clinic. I have had both types of patiens. The ones that only want to see the doctor and those who tell me they rather see me. Just the other day, a patient...after I spent a good deal of time with her, left the office without paying and mad because she wanted to be seen by the doctor. Of course, this patient had psych problems I think. She had complained to me about 3 other doctor treatments she had received, and she was not happy with anything.

On the other hand, it is very satisfying to hear "wow, nobody ever examined me with so much detail and spent so much time with me" or see them leave with a big ear to ear smile thanking me (which is the case most of the time)

But as someone mentioned earlier, this is not only about practicing medicine but also is about dealing with people (and more often than not...sick people). So be ready (psychologically) to encounter anything.

I think it is important to note that the kind of people who say these things will say them to anyone, whether it be a PA, nurse, med tech, or even doctor. Ask any resident or any physician at all. Although, look at it this way, when patients dont like seeing their DOCTORs and think they are incompetent they SUE them. At least when we get the crazies they just want to see the doctor when they don't like us!

-chris

• 11 months later...

I also agree with Bob /EMEDPA,I have worked emergency medicine both as a paramedic/PA for 28 years. Whenever I've run into a rude and confrontational patient. I have done and stated similar responses. One of my favorite however is "when I go to McDonald's I'd like a chef to prepare my meal too!" or "This isn't Burger King and you can't have it your way." However sarcastic this sounds it works well with some of the extremely demanding, low life, noninsured, poor excuses for protoplasm, with no social skills who enjoy bottlenecking the emergency room as their only means of free entertainment on Friday night. :D

My practice (ortho) is busy. Between my Doc and I we see roughly 100 patients in a full clinic day. If a patient states that they don't want to see me, I tell them that it's no problem, the doctor will be with them when he can, and then I move on to the next room. An hour later when they are still waiting in the room they change their mind. If they have surgery and become an inpatient, I'm the one that they will see every day and they usually don't have any problems thereafter.

Also keep in mind that you can't please all the people all the time. They don't want to wait 20 minutes past their appt. time even if you squeezed them in, but they don't want to be told that we are booked 6 weeks out either.

I often find that patients who act out have a personality or mental health disorder. Having worked with such a population in my past, I assure them that they are welcome to see the doctor. It is best not to agitate them any further. If it were every patient, that might be an issue. For the occasional few, it is best to let it go.

As for the questions about when I will become a doctor or why I chose not to become one, I tell people that PAs can change disciplines at any time - doctors are basically board certified in one area - PAs have a choice about "call" depending on where they work and PA allows more flexibility.

I am 45 about to graduate School in July and I am on my family med rotation.

Today, I entered the exam room and the patient said, "It's a little late for a change in career for you, now, isn't it? You must be 50."

LOL, he said all the wrong things and yet, I found him endearing and we quickly developed a nice rapport.

Some people mean well, but can place a foot in their mouth, at times. I know the feeling. I just move on.

:)

If a patient states that they don't want to see me, I tell them that it's no problem, the doctor will be with them when he can, and then I move on to the next room.

Not only do I consider this correct, in Pennsylvania it is the law. I am a believer in "letting the system work". If we have talents then use them. There is always going to be someone who is perceived as being "better" than you. If we are not comfortable with that, then we don't get comfortable with our skin. If we take action so as to feel superior, then we will suffer the slings and arrows of pride. I feel comfortable with the saying: You can have the money or the glory but you can't have both". Which do you want? There are few physicians who do what I do as well as I do it. These abilities mean job security. Having a God given ability means that we have already won. If we let the patient "see the Physician", they will either be satisfied or eventually, they will see me. It takes time and they will eventually learn for whom to ask.

I think to offer any sort of snide comment may temporarily boost your ego but (and let's be clear) NEVER wins the war- If the patient perceives your verbal swipe as a sour grapes block of their rights, they can report you to the state board of medicine and you will receive a little visit from a man in a suit. It absolutely has happened.

Today, I entered the exam room and the patient said, "It's a little late for a change in career for you, now, isn't it? You must be 50."

In the future you might reply: "It's never too late to actually enjoy what you do for a living!"

(and by the way my lady, your post reflects the sort of wisdom that is NOT learned in the classroom ;)

Frankly, I don't want to see people who do not want to see me. There are plenty that do. I use RC's response in these situations too. I have been here longer than any resident in the place and the attending hasn't done one of these in years!

I went to a lecture at SHM last year. A lawyer/MD spoke. His job is to sue medical professionals for malpractice. He said the main reason a doc gets sued is due to failure to establish a positive relationship with the patient and to communicate with them. He said, if you just don't "hit it off" with a patient, don't see them anymore. Get someone else to do it. Remember, examining a patient who says they don't want to see you can be construed as assault and battery.

Personally in most cases, I do not take these things personal and consider them that person's problem. There are PLENTY of people who WANT to see us. I gladly turf those kinds of people to the doc. That's why they make the big bucks :D

Pat

Guest FNP/DNP
UGH!!! My supervising doc and I had the most rude and wierd patient the other day. First when I took her back and introduced myself she was immediately annoyed. "I want to see and talk to the doctor only" she said. She then proceeded to tell me that her medical information is confidential and she does not want to share it with anyone else. She also said that she was paying for a doctor and that's who she wants to see. I proceeded to tell her that the doctor and I work together as a team to ensure the best healthcare for our patients and that in order to see the doc she had to see me and that is our office policy. She was out of control and refused to talk to me so I went and brought my supervising doc into the room. He explained to her that I am his PA and we work together as a team. He also told the patient that she would see him almost every visit but that I would almost always interview her and perform the physical exam for the visits. The patient said that her life is confidential and she wasn;t about to share it with a doctors "assistant." Fortunately my doc stood up for me and said "well then I guess it isn't going to work out then is it?" My doc proceeded to tell the patient that I provide excellent healthcare and that our exisiting patients are very happy with the care they receive from both providers. She was just terrible and I feel so insulted by her. What experiences have you all had? I hate the endless questions like "Why didn't you just go to medical school?" or "When are you going to finish medical school and become a real doctor?" "When do I get to see the real doctor?" What do all of you say to these questions???? Debi :mad:

It is very frustrating. I have gotten a lot of the "when are you going to finish medical school?" I have had a few patients refuse to see me when I was at the clinic. Just see it as an opportunity to educate the patient about the profession- don't take it personally. Now I just say "I have a doctorate- in nursing and I have no plans to go to medical school"

For the most part, I think patients really like PA's and NP's and realize that we give excellent care. I took it personally the first few times and now I could care less. If they want to see someone who will spend 5 minutes with them with his hand on the doorknob (ie. my collaborating MD) then they are welcome to do so.

"OK....see ya later" and leave....an hour or two later the Doc might come in.................

I agree with MrBob. I leave the room and see another patient. I encountered this problem about 6 times during my Gen Sx and 1 time for my Ortho rotations.

debcpa28, I think it is awesome that your sup. doc stood up for you and drew a line and gave that patient boundries!!! Hats off to that doc!

To be honest, if that happened to me and my sup. doc responded the same way, that would have acutally made my day and I would not have sweated that patient's behavior ONE BIT ! I would have walked away from that situation feeling grateful that I was lucky enough to be working with/for a doc like that. That doc clearly respects you. You can bet your sup. doc helped that patient get educated about PAs that day. Count your blessings. ;)

I agree, you are lucky to have such a supportive supervising Doc!

When I worked in correctional medicine I would have inmates want to see the doctor for there dry skin or request for a high calorie diet. The first few times I porobaly lockied myself in th ebathroom and cried. Then I realized that my Doc just would not see them for weeks and weeks. Eventually patients saw me. And if a pt was truly frustrated at not being able to see the doctor I would listen for while ans get them to start talking about what was going on. Sometimes it would work and other time I added the pt to MD line which was a long wait.

I have it a bit easier in some sense working at a hospital. If I go to admit a pt, they've already been seen by the ER MD so they won't complain. If I see an Ortho "med management" consult, they have an MD as their surgeon.

It is exhausting sometimes to plainly explain what your name is (especially since I am hyphenated as it is and 9 syllables total), what you do and why you are there. Which is why I love psych pts, the elderly and pts with special needs. I always develop a good rapport with them and I enjoy taking care of them. But it is always rewarding to turn around a skeptical patient or their families.

Oh and speaking of doctor's assistant, has anyone seen the capsaicin commercial? I want to scream every time I see that lady say she is a "doctors assistant with arthritis." What is she a medical assistant or a PA, she wears a white coat but apparently can't figure out how to control her srthritis pain at work!

I can't mention the number of times I've told of my acceptance to PA school to a DOCTOR -- only to have him/her say: "Why do you want to be a tech? Didn't you just spend two years taking science courses??" or "I don't understand why you just don't go to medical school."

So, it is not just the lay public that needs education...

Ann

i totally agree. ive spoken to a interventional cardiologist about my decision to go to PA school and he states that PA's are like half doctors. he said a PA is to a doctor like what a LVN is to a RN.

LVN=LPN

although there are some doctors who are supportive, but very few. :confused:

When a patient would rather see the MD, I too just go on to the next one, and I make sure to leave their door open while they are waiting so they can see the rest of the patients that I've seen are on their way out without any problems. This isn't to tick them off (which it does), but to show them what I can do and how the patients are happy. More often times than not, they end up coming outside and looking around inpatiently for the MD.

Archived