BMT Offer

Need advice on negotiations. Here are the job details:

Bone Marrow Transplant

Detroit

M-F, no weekend, no holidays

10 hour shifts, 4 days per week

80K/yr

I have 1.5 years in Internal Medicine (Hospitalist) and 8 months specialized training in Bone Marrow Transplant at a top hospital in NYC.

Seems like this is a very low offer. I countered with 85K with moving expenses. I already have all of my certifications (so they do not have to cover that).

What do you think?

Offer came back with no increase in pay, $1200 in moving expenses with half of that paid up front, the other half 6-12 months later. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed. $600 moving from NYC will not help at all. My wife has an opportunity for a position in Boston and we are seriously considering it.

That sounds really low for something pretty specialized like BMT. Not sure what the job market is like in Detroit, but I think you're getting low-balled big time. That moving expense policy of only paying half up front is awfully stingy, too. I hear Boston is nice.... :-)

I was rather dissapointed in that offer as well.  $600 will not allow us to move from NYC to MI.  I countered again.  We will see what happens.  We have the opportunity to either move to Detroit or Boston.  We are currently weighing our options, but I will not settle for that 80K offer.  I am worth more than that.

That sounds really low for something pretty specialized like BMT. Not sure what the job market is like in Detroit, but I think you're getting low-balled big time. That moving expense policy of only paying half up front is awfully stingy, too. I hear Boston is nice.... :-)

They told me they are calling my moving expense a "sign on bonus" and that is their reasoning for spliting up the $1200.  I think that is very stingy.  $1200 probably wouldn't even cover the cost of moving my apartment let alone half of that!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived