ICU RN to PA school

At time of application (May) will have been an ICU nurse for 4 years (5 total as a nurse-1 year in rehab facility).  Approximately 3.3 GPA, science may be a little higher, only missing genetics, microbiology, immunology (according to UTMB, I know the schools vary).  I will have some volunteer experience doing vision and hearing screening for my local community.  Will get shadowing done and have 3 letters, at least (one from a former UTMB graduate, physician and science advisor).  Will also take my GRE around december.

I am really unfamiliar with what is considered competitive for PA school and how RN's and such are viewed, and where my GPA puts me.  Will be applying to all Texas PA schools.  Could use any feedback or tips :)

First, how are you a nurse without microbio? I thought this was a pretty universal prereq.

Don't worry about taking genetics or immunology unless your sGPA is below a 3.5 or a school you want to go to requires it. Not many do.

You GPA is slightly low for average student, but your ICU RN experience should make up for it plenty. You'll obviously get questions of why not NP or CRNA, ect. Work out those answers before the interview.

You'll do fine as long as you don't come off as over-confident. Good luck

O'neal 4 year ICU RN, PA-S grad Dec. '14

First, how are you a nurse without microbio? I thought this was a pretty universal prereq.

Don't worry about taking genetics or immunology unless your sGPA is below a 3.5 or a school you want to go to requires it. Not many do.

You GPA is slightly low for average student, but your ICU RN experience should make up for it plenty. You'll obviously get questions of why not NP or CRNA, ect. Work out those answers before the interview.

You'll do fine as long as you don't come off as over-confident. Good luck

O'neal 4 year ICU RN, PA-S grad Dec. '14

I have microbiology, I actually just wasn't sure if I needed to retake it.  I took it over 6 years ago or so and was a little concerned it may not of been for science majors.  

The schools I have looked at so far (UTMB,Texas Tech, few other Texas schools) do require genetics and a few additional science course.  I wish this was the case, the genetics at my university is known to be awful.  I actually graduated from nursing school with a 2.9, so since 2011 I have had primarily all A's with a few B's, hopefully upward trend gets a decent look at well.  

I have definitely struggled with medical school/CRNA/NP and after a lot of deliberation this was my decision.  I plan to address in my PS as well.  Thank you for your response. 

GPA is low but I think if you apply broadly including out of state you will get in for sure. Applying locally you may or may not get in. I hope you do because I think that's a great background for PA profession. I do myself wonder why you don't want to go into critical care NP program.

Average GPA is 3.6 but average HCE is (randomly guessing) 1-2 years as CNA or emt with your type of experience being the minority. Best of luck and I do think you'll get in but I encourage you to apply broadly!

GPA is low but I think if you apply broadly including out of state you will get in for sure. Applying locally you may or may not get in. I hope you do because I think that's a great background for PA profession. I do myself wonder why you don't want to go into critical care NP program.

Average GPA is 3.6 but average HCE is (randomly guessing) 1-2 years as CNA or emt with your type of experience being the minority. Best of luck and I do think you'll get in but I encourage you to apply broadly!

I will definitely apply broadly, but first preference is Texas (family). Will assess and apply intelligently out of state as well.

I very much prefer the PA model of training. I several friends in online NP programs and after looking at their curriculum, PA school offers the best training for me to become a competent practitioner. I really hope my Healthcare experience is enough to overlook my early freshman stupidity (GPA), because I will do whatever it takes to get INTO PA school, even if it takes more then one application cycle.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived