Living situation for clinical rotations

Anyone have any insight on purchasing a van/camper/trailer for clinical rotations? Our rotations are spread out pretty far, and I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons of looking for new housing every six weeks or just purchasing something I can drive or tow around for a year.

I am at Pacific - no guarantee on rotations, although I think the majority are in Oregon/Washington and Idaho.

I'm sure I could find rooms to rent, but the thought of not having to pack and repack suitcases and having something that more closely resembles a home is appealing. I don't think I'd go the RV route - probably more interested in a small trailer. That said, cold weather and dealing with parking don't sound very enticing. 

I know others have gone this route before ... . 

• Administrator

You really won't have time for anything more than will fit in an economy car anyways.  A reference book or two, your clothes, laptop, and that's pretty much all you need.  As long as you have a room for rent, there's nothing to pack or unpack--a drawer or three, whatever hangs in the closet, a picture or sentimental keepsake to remind you why you're doing this...

Think of rotation year as a time of enforced nomadic monasticism, punctuated by time back in the Portland Metro area with family and friends.

You really won't have time for anything more than will fit in an economy car anyways. A reference book or two, your clothes, laptop, and that's pretty much all you need. As long as you have a room for rent, there's nothing to pack or unpack--a drawer or three, whatever hands in the closet, a picture or sentimental keepsake to remind you why you're doing this...

Think of rotation year as a time of enforced nomadic monasticism, punctuated by time back in the Portland Metro area with family and friends.

Why can't schools arrange to have all their rotations in our around a single city?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Why can't schools arrange to have all their rotations in our around a single city?

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

not enough rotation sites locally. I went all over the east coast: philly, D.C., hartford CT, rochester NY, etc although my out of state rotations were for specific electives I wanted.

• Administrator

Intentional choice on Pacific's part--they want to graduate PAs with a broad range of system and geographical location experience.  What EMEDPA said is also likely true, but Pacific keeps rotations as far away as Texas and Ohio--clearly not necessary just to  meet minimums.

• 1 month later...

Hey not sure if this post is too late or not! I've tried all options: I lived in a van for a few weeks, lived in a tent - lasted only two weeks then lived in a buddies garage for rotations. All in all I can say the garage was the best. Like the others said, pack light and bring essential books. The downfall to van/tent was not having a shower or refrigerator for meals. For the van I found a local YMCA to shower, for the tent I swam in the lake but for each one I never felt like I ever got a full nights rest. Libraries are only open so late for studying and headlamp in a car seat gets old. A camper with shower capacity and light might work but you might have to pay for a site and hookup? Either way purchase price might be about equal to renting a room.

Check out airbnb.com - great site, many a stay and it's safe

VRBO.com - vacation rentals

do not use craigslist - too many scams and horror stories

Hope that helps. Let me know if you end up showering in a lake!

Archived