Seeking Emcare position

Hi all,

I am looking for an EM/intermediate position. Many of the Emcare positions listed say that the provider must have at least one year of ED experience. I have 5 years in a family practice and stand-alone urgent care clinic (was a solo provider, seeing around 20-40 per day.) Does anyone have experience with Emcare with an urgent care background?). I've sent my resume and left a message 2 weeks ago about this position. I at least want the chance to prove myself. I'm a little worried Emcare is so corporate, that it's hard for a newbie to get in the door. Any suggestions/ contacts?

Thanks EMED. Fast track is actually what i love... I've just never worked true EM (only non-hospital environment.). I did do level 1 trauma rotation, alone with separate EM rotation in PA school, as well as shadowing PAs in the fast track who were employed by Emcare before PA school. I do love the autonomy in that type setting. I had a baby and have been in aesthetics medicine for a year but now ready to be in urgent care again.

Hi Jengirl81, 

I currently work for EmCare in the ED. Was hired as a new grad and worked in the fast track, then have gradually transitioned to working in the main ED. Work time for me is now about 50/50 fast track and main. I think it's probably more up to the hospital where you end up working vs EmCare as a company. We lost a bunch of full time doctors (the hospital is very rural) so they opened up a main-ED shift for the midlevels. 

Good luck!

EmCare. . .hmmmm.  I'm not sure how most big CMGs typically work (having only ever worked as a PA in the Navy and then a large not-for-profit healthcare system), and obviously I can't extrapolate a generalization from a specific and this may indeed be an aberration.  I trust those of you with more CMG experience can speak to this

Several PAs I know well across town who work/worked for TeamHealth as the EM contractor at a HCA hospital and they were pretty happy

A year ago HCA booted TeamHealth and brought in EmCare.

EmCare told the PAs that they were going to now be making $75+/hr (were previously making $55-$65).

Wooo-hoooo!!!  Party on Garth!  Party on Wayne!

Then a week later they showed them the other side of the coin:

1 - No vacation

2 - No PTO

3 - 401k gone

4 - FT now defined as 30 hrs/week

5 - Cutting 10 hrs of PA coverage/day

All that doesn't sound like it's worth $75/hr.

• 2 months later...

I currently work for EmCare, and my experience has been pretty positive.  It might be because I work at the original hospital that EmCare was started at, and one of the docs who started the company is still here working.  I'm pretty much in the main ED- I've only had one shift in a truly "fast track" type of situation-  they also have an "Ambulatory Care and Evaluation" portion that moves patients in and out of rooms but I'm still seeing some atypical presentations of sick folks that require a pretty keen eye.  Apparently this is one of the harder places to get hired, so I felt pretty lucky landing the spot.  The no PTO/vacation thing kinda sucks, but I'm able to work as few as 9 shifts a month and shift the schedule around to make a vacation work.  My scope of practice isn't as totally widespread as at my last job because my last job was where I trained as a resident, but I've still done LP's, abd paracentesis, ultrasound lines, draining PTA's and many different reductions along with all the bread-and-butter suturing/I&D stuff.  Just no intubations (yet) and no central lines.  The support I get in the ED is pretty good- great nurses and techs, and most of the time I work with a scribe- and man, do they help with productivity.

Archived