HPSP prior service

Hi guys.

I'm a former Naval Flight Officer. Separated July 2008. I'm thinking about HPSP. My questions are:

1) Can I enter at the same rank I left O-3E w/12?

2) Can I collect my GI Bill and HPSP stipends/tuition benees? I've heard that you can get both benefits (stipends) but only one tuition payment - most likely HPSP paying it. Can someone verify this?

I'm not asking because I'm greedy. I'm normally the breadwinner of my family and living off of E-5 pay isn't really helping. I figure I earned my GI Bill with my years of service and will be earning HPSP with additional years of service, so why not? Please let me know if you know of anyone who has done this. THere's a lot of forums out ther that "speculate". I would like to know for sure if someone has done this.

Thanks!

1. I think it's difficult to do anything other than speculate on some of this. I know for a fact you keep your time in but weather or not you'll still be an O-3 is up for debate. I think you ought to be able to press your branch manager for this.

2. As long as you are enrolled as a full-time student, you can collect your GI Bill concurrently with HPSP. Or at least you could in 2006. If I were you I'd get in the weeds and read the current form of the GI Bill and the Navy HPSP.

You're not asking because you are greedy, you're asking because you earned your dang GI Bill and you darn well deserve it if you meet the criteria to collect it. Again, it was a go in 2006. I haven't read the new form of the GI Bill. Obviously congress didn't re-write the GI Bill to put more money into the hands of servicemembers. I'd go through it in detail. That's all I can offer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey D, no offense on that last email, but just like any other mil occupation, if you don't really know then you need to do some homework. No offense to your friend, but when you come across NFO's or Pilots or infantry officers that far out of their designations- then that should send up a red flag. We typically don't work comm stations. For orders we go from an active squadron to the RAG (to teach newbies our aircraft) or quite an array of other flight school positions. Yes, NFO's are just as competitive as pilots for jobs driving the carrier or for squadron commands. Your friend shot himself in the foot somehow. What would you think if you saw a PA working as an admin clerk? Yep, donezo. We don't "switch corps" to stay in. I got out in 2008 after a few long and hard deployments with 3 kids that never saw me. When I wasn't deployed, I was on surge or being submitted for IA's. We made a collective decision (my wife and I) to separate. My father was a neurosurgeon and loved his time in medicine. I was forunate enough to be around this and have always desired this a new career.

So, no offense, unless you're attached to an active live company or squadron, please don't act like you know what you're talking about. You'll do a great job pissing off the combat arms and line officers you are there to support.

Best wishes.

And no offense to anyone out there, I know you work hard, but you are nothing more than support. Physicians, Jags, PA's, nurses..........yep, support. I've done my time and always held the above in high regard, but it is what it is. I'm starting a new career, and if I go back, then I will realize that I am support. So the next time, D, you accidentally put your giant raincoat officer bars on your charlie shirt by mistake..........yep, that was me laughing at you.

Archived