Looking for answers from PA Students! Thank you!

Hey! So I was wondering if you guys could tell us what your GPA and GRE score was, along with what kind of Health Care experience you had before being accepted.

Also your age in which you were accepted and whether you took time off between undergrad and PA school!

Thank you so much!

Guest MedLib42

Definitely check out the threads posted above - a lot of great info there.

Another great resource as far as stats is the annual report from PAEA - they essentially take all the data from most (or all) of the P.A. schools in the U.S. and report average HCE, GPA, volunteer and shadowing hours, age, and other info for all accepted applicants. 

http://www.paeaonline.org/index.php?ht=a/GetDocumentAction/i/156969

Most schools also report this information somewhere on their PA program websites, so it's helpful to look this up for each school you're applying to - they'll generally give you a good idea of the average stats of accepted students (especially since it can really vary from school to school). UMDNJ/Rutgers actually also has an accepted student profile page, where they list the specific types of HCE and the degree each accepted student has. 

Why not just study hard and get a good gpa/gre? I'm not sure how knowing this information will help gain YOU admission to PA school.

Though somewhat terse, this response is generally correct. Subsequent posts by others refer to interesting reading regarding stats but you end up with a lot of information that may or may not be relevant to YOU and the schools you apply to. You need to look at your own situation at the time of application and research the schools you want to apply to. Do you need to stay close to home? Do you want to get in-state tuition? Are you looking for schools that don't require a lot of HCE? Do you want a program that is closely affiliated with a med school? Etc, etc, etc. Think about those things to help narrow your search and then start researching relevant programs. What is their minimum for HCE and GRE (if any.) What are the stats of THEIR most recent matriculating class? What do they say about the kinds of students they are looking for? What are their pre-reqs. Perhaps you could start a convo with a current student for additional information.

Personally, I like looking at applicant stats and reports such as the PAEA report for academic reasons. Also, I'm impressed by the high caliber of people going into this profession. But, I'm not an applicant and, if I were, I would try to ignore all that noise and develop a plan that would maximize MY chances of getting accepted into the schools I would be applying to.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived