The American Headache Society Continues its ban on PAs and NPs for membership

As the inaugural chair of the PA section of the American Headache Society, we started working on getting the offer for membership for us and our NP colleagues two years ago. Our case was formally presented to the AHS in Nov of 2010.

The membership voted this week on the proposal. The decision was unanimous that the ban on PAs and NPs from becoming members should continue indefinitely. The mantra was, "If we let PAs in then we would have to let anybody in." We are very disappointed in their ole-boy's club mentality.

They can set a nonphysician level of membership. I am a member of STS as an "associate" member. They van determine voting rights, board involvement etc. It is easy to write up bylaws to that effect. Otherwise it seems like they have something to hide or protect.

We do have associate status now. But we have not power, can't vote, can't attend members-only meetings etc. Also, such as in my case, can't get my practice listed in their directory of headache clinics.

So what would be the use/significance of associate status? Are there any perks?

Hmm. The conferences are cheaper. We get the Headache Journal, we get our names in the very back of the Member's directory under "Associates." I guess that counts for something. I'm thinking of joining the International Headache Society, which does not discriminate between PAs and MDs. However, most of their meetings are in Europe. But, as a business owner, that would be a tax deductible trip.

Archived