Navy HSCP First Duty Station

Hi everyone!

I was just accepted into the Naval HSCP program for PA school a few months ago and I was wondering how the duty station assignments are going for new grads.  I still have at least a year before I give my duty station preferences (assuming I get a preference, anyway) but I was just curious how it's going right now.  My fiancee works in the health professions as well and so he's a bit concerned about how he'll be able to get a job in his field if I wind up getting stationed overseas.  He's fine with working outside his field for a few years, but obviously he'd prefer not to.  So anyway, just wondering about others experiences with this. 

We are 100% manned right now. Expect your choices to very limited. Staying in the states if you want shouldn't be too much trouble, but past that you're probably out of luck.

Technically we are over 100% manned (103% last time I heard), so +1 to the above.  When I was up for orders after finishing IPAP, I wasn't even given the luxury of filling out a "dream sheet" (duty station preference list).  I was just told where to go, which happened to be on the opposite coast.  A few of my classmates went to Japan, again without any input.  Literally the only billets that are available at any given moment are those being vacated by transferring PA's.  Very different from even a couple of years ago when you might be presented with a list of umanned billets to choose from.

The best advice I can offer is to be flexible and open minded.  You have to be willing to find the good in wherever you and up and "bloom where you're planted," as the expression goes.  The folks I meet in the Navy that set narrow geographic limitations on their happiness invariably end up disappointed.  Frequent travel and upheaval are part and parcel of what we do - it truly is a lifestyle, and if you can't find a way to embrace it you'll end up miserable.

And yes, spouse employment is a real issue.  My wife's career has definitely suffered.  Some careers are more portable than others, but even then it can be a pain starting over at a new job every 2-3 years and being the new guy or gal all over again.

You were given choices before even finishing school? Crazy. Us prior service guys are chopped liver I guess, lol.

Well, the prior service guy in class with me got a separate, better list, so I doubt that.

All depends on when you graduate. Some other people early this year just got told, but nice duty stations. Me and my buddies got lists, but they are all crap.

Well, the prior service guy in class with me got a separate, better list, so I doubt that. All depends on when you graduate. Some other people early this year just got told, but nice duty stations. Me and my buddies got lists, but they are all crap.

Well, when I said prior-service I guess I should've mentioned that I was specifically referring to the IPAP grads - prior enlisted guys with no break in service.  Not that it really makes a difference.  I agree that it probably just depends on when you graduate and what's going on at the time.  In my case, we had 14 of us up for orders all at once, so I think it was maybe just easier for the detailer to assign us at random.  I know in previous IPAP classes, the grads got a list and were able to submit requests, but manning has gone up so much in recent years that billeting is just getting so tight.

Well, when I said prior-service I guess I should've mentioned that I was specifically referring to the IPAP grads - prior enlisted guys with no break in service. Not that it really makes a difference. I agree that it probably just depends on when you graduate and what's going on at the time. In my case, we had 14 of us up for orders all at once, so I think it was maybe just easier for the detailer to assign us at random. I know in previous IPAP classes, the grads got a list and were able to submit requests, but manning has gone up so much in recent years that billeting is just getting so tight.

Yeah, it probably is different for you guys. I'm "pencilled in" for camp lejeune naval hospital, but might change. My buddy who graduated last December was pencilled in, but then got sent to 29 palms.

Yeah, it probably is different for you guys. I'm "pencilled in" for camp lejeune naval hospital, but might change. My buddy who graduated last December was pencilled in, but then got sent to 29 palms.

I'm at Lejeune now, but with the Marines, not at the hospital.  I had always heard terrible things about it here, and I feel like I've been avoiding it for the last 10 years, lol.  Now that I'm here, I'm actually find it quite enjoyable.  North Carolina is a beautiful state.  If I were younger and single, I might be pretty bored here, but it's a great place for a family.  Would definitely rather be here than 29 Palms.  Spent about a month out there, mostly in the field, so that probably colors my perception a little.  But in my experience, the people that like 29 Palms generally like it's relative proximity to LA and Vegas, etc.  And the kind of people that are so dead set on staying on the west coast that they're okay with living in the middle of the desert.  Don't get me wrong - I may end up there yet, and if I do, I'll make the most of it.  But I certainly don't think it is objectively any better than Lejeune.

The hospital's Family Medicine clinic (where you'll likely work) is very busy and is part of a residency program.  You'll work hard and learn a ton.  I'm considering trying to stay and go there for my shore tour, partly because I don't want to move again, but also because I sort of think I need that trial by fire to get really good at being a PA.

I'm at Lejeune now, but with the Marines, not at the hospital. I had always heard terrible things about it here, and I feel like I've been avoiding it for the last 10 years, lol. Now that I'm here, I'm actually find it quite enjoyable. North Carolina is a beautiful state. If I were younger and single, I might be pretty bored here, but it's a great place for a family. Would definitely rather be here than 29 Palms. Spent about a month out there, mostly in the field, so that probably colors my perception a little. But in my experience, the people that like 29 Palms generally like it's relative proximity to LA and Vegas, etc. And the kind of people that are so dead set on staying on the west coast that they're okay with living in the middle of the desert. Don't get me wrong - I may end up there yet, and if I do, I'll make the most of it. But I certainly don't think it is objectively any better than Lejeune.

The hospital's Family Medicine clinic (where you'll likely work) is very busy and is part of a residency program. You'll work hard and learn a ton. I'm considering trying to stay and go there for my shore tour, partly because I don't want to move again, but also because I sort of think I need that trial by fire to get really good at being a PA.

Sounds good. I'm pretty happy with my assignment. One of my other options was china lake. Really glad I dodged that bullet.

I am in Camp Lejeune as well right now but for pre-deployment trainng.  I had heard bad things about this place but besides how hot it is (in the summer) I am really liking it, lots of outdoor recreation opportunities, beach is close, some of the surrounding communities seem nice.  I have also heard good things about the clinic here from a PA I just met who seems happy.  I could probably be convienced to move from San Diego (if there are no good west coast options) to here when I am negotiating for orders when I get back.  I think HMtoPA hit the nail on the head, it is what you make it.

Thanks for the input everyone, that's what I was expecting based on what I've heard.  Always good to be prepared and also prepare the fiancee for the possibility of living overseas.

Really, since it's my very first duty station and I'll be straight out of school, I have no preference.  The only thing I considered was possibly staying in the states just because of his job (which is extremely portable anywhere within the US, abroad, not so sure) but he's willing to be flexible.  I'm still at the stage where moving around seems like an adventure, so I'm looking forward to it.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

They will try to co-locate married service members, but in the end it comes down to the availability of billets, and the fact that we are over-manned doesn't help your situation.  To put it clearer, they can only put you where vacancies exist, and at this moment, there aren't a ton of vacancies.  So, if there happens to be a vacancy somewhere where there happens to be an open meteorologist billet, then you're in luck.  But they're not going to create a billet for either you or your partner so that you can be co-located.  In my experience, co-location works best in fields where broad availability of compatible billets exist - for example, it's not difficult at all to co-locate two married corpsmen, or a nurse and a doctor, for example.  A PA and a meteorologist?  You're talking about two relatively narrow fields, so it becomes exponentially more difficult.

I was curious- If they are so over-manned why are they offering 17 scholarships this year? My detailer was floored when he could out. Said it is the first time in forever that they have offered double digits for scholarships. Just curious on your thoughts behind that?

First, they base scholarship numbers on future predictions and models. Not necessarily what they have today. Second, it's been in the double digits for several years. It was 10 when I applied, and they said that was to increase due to the halt of HPSP. The year before they still had HPSP with double digit spots as well. The year after I applied had 15 spots. Lastly, 17 still isn't really that much if you compare that to the docs numbers.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived