From ER to urgent care??

currently I am at a level 1 trauma ED. Work mainly fast track. 1 day a week the residents go to conference so no fast track that day so work in the main. Also if there are no fast track patients I pick up a non fast tracker or two just to stay busy. Have an offer to go to urgent care for 30 k more a year working less shifts. Wondering if anyone made the jump from an er like mine to urgent care. were you bored at urgent care? or is it pretty similar to what you see working in a fast track. worried that i might get bored or miss the days that i dont work fast track. any insight appreciated.

Frankly, I like urgent care. Urgent Care offers a good diversity and pace with, from my limited experience, a less stressfull environment from a systems standpoint. While it is true that you will treat and dispo just like the "low side" of an ED; don't get complacent, especially in rural urgent care, because there are plenty of red herrings out there. Also UC generally offers better hours (no overnights).

I gotta be honest....30K more for less shifts is worth a look. Perhaps you could PRN in an ED for the thrill factor.

I'm in the UC now, and it's kind of perfect for where I'm at now. I'm a full-time, stay-at-home dad, but I get to "sneak away" and work a couple 4-hour shifts in the evenings, and days every other weekend. It's just enough to feel like I'm not on vacation. I do fully intend to get back to the ER, but I've enjoyed my UC time so much more than I expected, at this point I figure I'll add some ER moonlighting rather than just try to make the jump back.

The pressure is lower much of the time, but then again you do see some people who have no PMD and/or may just have some weird zebra happening. I can't shake the idea that eventually, I'll be the only provider some patient sees in a three-year span, and it'll be my note the lawyers are interested in, at least for a minute, when the patient kicks it suddenly.

Urgent Care gets made fun of, and usually it's justified, but I think of that scene in The Rock where Nicolas Cage is handing Sean Connery the chain of little glass vials of deadly toxin: "the second you stop respecting this, it kills you."

Archived