Thinking about EMT-B Summer Training

• Administrator

Seriously?  If you think you need ANY of that for an EMT course (they've dropped the -B, but some still use that terminology), then you really have no idea of what's going on.

EMT is algorithmic management, and only a rudimentary level of A&P is covered.  Now, the best EMTs know a ton more than the minimum covered, but EMT is a very hands-on, pattern recognition and skill performance certification.

Seriously?  If you think you need ANY of that for an EMT course (they've dropped the -B, but some still use that terminology), then you really have no idea of what's going on.

EMT is algorithmic management, and only a rudimentary level of A&P is covered.  Now, the best EMTs know a ton more than the minimum covered, but EMT is a very hands-on, pattern recognition and skill performance certification.

I mean course load wise. Is it doable to take the 14 credits during the summer; 8 credit hours for EMT, and 6 credit hours for the classes at my University.

• Administrator

I mean course load wise. Is it doable to take the 14 credits during the summer; 8 credit hours for EMT, and 6 credit hours for the classes at my University.

Hmm... THAT is a more interesting question.  8 semester units for EMT feels about right--pretend that's a solid 8 hours of science courses, not 8 hours of education classes, and you should be fine.

As an instructor, I will give you the same advice I give all of my students....

1. READ THE BOOK!  Not just skim, read it.

2. Utilize the workbook.

3. Find and take as many of the free online tests as you can. For EMT testing you need to know the information as well as understand how the tests are designed.

There are usually 4 answers with 2 of them being blatantly wrong. The other two answers are both somewhat right. However, one is MORE right than the other.

For example:

You are dispatched to a motor vehicle accident. Upon arrival at the scene you should first:

A. Begin patient assessment

B. Apply a bandange

C. Complete your scene size up

D. Put on BSI (gloves, mask, gown, goggles ect)

The algorithmic order for this is:

Scene Size Up

1. Scene safety

2. BSI

3. Mechanism of injury

4. Number of patients/additional resources

As you can see both Answers C&D are somewhat correct as D is a component of the scene size up. However, since BSI comes second in the algorithm, C is MORE right than D and therefore the correct answer.

If you can memorize simple steps this class should be an easy A for you with the classes you've completed.

Mike

As an instructor, I will give you the same advice I give all of my students....

1. READ THE BOOK!  Not just skim, read it.

2. Utilize the workbook.

3. Find and take as many of the free online tests as you can. For EMT testing you need to know the information as well as understand how the tests are designed.

There are usually 4 answers with 2 of them being blatantly wrong. The other two answers are both somewhat right. However, one is MORE right than the other.

For example:

You are dispatched to a motor vehicle accident. Upon arrival at the scene you should first:

A. Begin patient assessment

B. Apply a bandange

C. Complete your scene size up

D. Put on BSI (gloves, mask, gown, goggles ect)

The algorithmic order for this is:

Scene Size Up

1. Scene safety

2. BSI

3. Mechanism of injury

4. Number of patients/additional resources

As you can see both Answers C&D are somewhat correct as D is a component of the scene size up. However, since BSI comes second in the algorithm, C is MORE right than D and therefore the correct answer.

If you can memorize simple steps this class should be an easy A for you with the classes you've completed.

Mike

Thank you Mike. Really appreciate it.

I am in Southern Illinois about 90 miles due East of St Louis Missouri. My main focus on teaching recently has been CPR, ACLS, ITLS, and PALS although I do teach First Responder and EMT-B on occasion.

Mike

:( Oh well, is it possible I can PM you then?

As mentioned before, EMT schools are very fond of algorithms for use in patient assessments. The use of acronyms is also throughout the course. Each program varies slightly in what they teach, but here are a couple I learned:

For primary assessment:

A- Airway

B- Breathing

C-Circulation

D-Disabilities/Deformities

E-Expose chief complaint (visualize and palpate)

F-Formulate a field impression

I-Identify need for transport (code 2 code 3)

SAMPLE and OPQRST

S-Signs/Symptoms

A-Allergies

M-Medications

P-Pertinent/Past medical hx

L-Last oral intake

E-Events (leading to illness/chief complaint)

O-Onset

P-provocation/Palliation

Q-quality of pain

R-region, radiation

S-severity (scale of 1-10)

T-time

Hope this helps you get a jump start on things! 

EMS is one of the best stepping stones into this profession. I wouldn't be here where I'am today without my 9 years on the truck. (3 as EMT, 6 as medic) 

Take the class. It isn't rocket science. Even better!: Take the class, then get a job on an ambulance and get some real experience!

Archived