PA Requirements for Schools in California

Hello,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if I could get some help with a couple of question with regards to the California requirements for PA schools. So here it is....

I am planning on taking an EMT course during the following summer in order to begin obtaining my patient to patient paid hours. Most of the California PA school require at least 1000 and up; however, they state it is recommended but I am assuming that by obtaining at least the recommended hours it would make me a stronger applicant. So my question is it would it be beneficial for me to take the time in obtaining the hours or is there any other options.

Thank You in advance

I would really appreciate some feedback

I can't speak to the California schools specifically but, in general, if a school recommends prior health care experience you will be a stronger applicant if you have that experience. If you spend enough time on this forum, you will find that those who post most frequently are firm believers in getting substantial patient care experience prior to PA school. So, even if you could get accepted with no HCE, you would probably find that those with prior HCE would be better prepared for clinical rotations and it might help with the didactic portion. Taking the EMT course and working for a year as an EMT is a good way to go. I recommend you search the forum for other threads on HCE (There are a number of them.)

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Hello,

I am new to the forum and was wondering if I could get some help with a couple of question with regards to the California requirements for PA schools. So here it is....

I am planning on taking an EMT course during the following summer in order to begin obtaining my patient to patient paid hours. Most of the California PA school require at least 1000 and up; however, they state it is recommended but I am assuming that by obtaining at least the recommended hours it would make me a stronger applicant. So my question is it would it be beneficial for me to take the time in obtaining the hours or is there any other options.

Thank You in advance

I would really appreciate some feedback

Always beneficial to get more hours. A few of the cali schools wont look at you without the "recommended" hours though you can prob get in (depending on the rest of your app) at SMU or Touro. They dont require a lot of hours.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 Active using Tapatalk.

Schools like Western U prefer no healthcare experience but value high GPAs (like 3.4+) where as programs like RCC, Stanford, Loma Linda, & MBKU have it required for acceptance. I'm not sure about USCs program or a few of the new ones seeking accreditation.

There's lots of accellerated programs out there that will give you a cert so you can start working on your HCE. Up in Nor Cal there's UNITEK and in So Cal there's CIEMT just to name a couple.

You may want to keep in mind that just because a certain number of hours are required/recommended that is just the minimum. To be competitive you want to find out what the average is for the accepted students for each program.

For example, for the program I will be attending - LLU. The minimum number of HCE for them to even look at your application is 2,000 paid hours. However, the average accepted class statistics look more like this:

Number of Applicants                    1,202   
Number of Interviews                    129
Number Accepted                         34
Gender                                        25F/9M
Average age                                 26
Average GPA                                3.55
Average hours of experience
at time of application

So more HCE will only help you get into PA school...except maybe at WesternU?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, for just a late response....Again, greatly appreciate the responses and very informative. 

P.S. I had thought I had linked the account to receive email notifications but apparently I have not been receiving. Therefore, my apologies  

Archived