PAs jobs in San Francisco

I am interested in moving up North from Southern California (yes, I'm leaving the sun behind). Guys, I am having a difficult time finding primary care jobs out there! I'd like to ideally live and work in San Francisco.

I would love to work in community health where I can work with substance abuse, infectious disease, homelessness. One organization called San Francisco Community Care Consortium (exactly the job I'm looking for), seems to just hire NPs. There is only one PA throughout several of their clinics. :(

I found an organization called San Francisco Bay Area Physician Assistants, asking them for some direction...waiting for a reply!

Any feedback?

Nicole,

Have you looked into county clinics? They would defiantly deal with the population you you want to serve. The only problem that i for see with them is that they are getting nailed by the budget this year and positions might be scarce. I would defiantly look into it though, usually they have fair pay rates and good benefits.

Good luck in your job search

Guest cabkrun

Hi Nicole, have you looked into the Community Hospitals? I know SF General hires PA's, altho their positions are usually listed as NP/PA. That would be a place I would definitely look into. Highland Hospital in Oakland (I live in Oakland) also hires PA's. The community hospitals tend to deal with a lot of trauma, homeless population, substance abuse, etc. but it might not be what you are looking for as it is hospital based and not really a clinic. Might be worth at least a look though.

Good luck!!

Guest cabkrun

Also keep in mind the pay at Community Hospitals and the Clinics that serve the populations you are looking to work for, tend to pay a bit less and San Francisco/Bay Area is really really expensive. But, I am sure you already know this :)

• 2 weeks later...

a little off topic.....but i can never figure out how "normal people" with "normal" salaries can afford to live in cities like SF. Im just a PA student so maybe Im missing something.....but how can someone making say 85K per year afford to live in a city where an average house alone costs $750k. Can someone fill me in on this??

I guess it depends on the person's life style. A Single PA who makes 85 k a year can rent a flat or 1 bedroom in SF and probably live pretty well. Not to mention, very few residents drive in SF, so theoretically you don't need to have a car payment or worry about gas prices, just take the trolly or BART to work.

Now, Trying to fit a wife and 2 kids in that same rental might be a little tough :)

Hey everyone!! Sorry I haven't replied---I would ideally love to work in SF cause I don't want to commute too much, and If I did I would only use public transporations. I'm not too familiar with the other cities mentioned above but will look into what a commute would look like. THANKS!!

85 K for a single PA living in a one bedroom or studio is totally doable! Thats what I'm doing now and love my lifestyle.

THe only jobs I"m seeing in SF are ALL ortho or a specialty field. Is Kaiser still not hiring primary care PAs?

• 5 months later...
Guest malliew

This is a seriously late reply to this thread, but there are two public heath entities in SF: the SFCCC which was previously mentioned at the Department of Public Health including SF General that post jobs on a separate website. (http://204.68.210.4/emplymnt/GenlJobs.htm#200Class)

Yes, the SFCCC, Kaiser, and many other institutions in the city tend to hire NPs for their primary care needs. Kaiser, etc. seems to only hire PAs for Ortho and other surgical specialties (that I've seen). I applied for a school in Oakland awhile ago and a recent grad told me flat out that it will be hard to find a primary care job in the Bay Area, but it's do-able. It seemed like a lot of the grads from that program ended up doing EM.

If you want to do underserved populations in the Bay Area, I think your best bet is going to be the DPH/County route. I would apply for whatever you're interested in and see what comes back. I think a lot of these places have students that rotate through there, so they hire that way.

Good luck if you're still looking!

Thats not too out of place for a per diem trauma position in any large city. If that was $76/hr with benefits then it would be different.

David Carpenter, PA-C

many places only pay around $2/hr for pay in lieu of benefits so 74/hr with benefits would still be a great deal if this was full time or > 0.5 fte.....

• 10 months later...
Guest jkatsuya

I have read through a few of these threads, and I would love to get an updated opinion on the employment opportunities in SF and the greater Bay area. I am a PA-to-be come January 2010 and am looking to move back to the bay after an east coast education. Does anyone have any advice on how to pursue a job from a distance? I've applied to some positions, and they told me they would only consider those with active PA licenses--is that standard? meaning, will I have to wait until I am licensed in the state to be a competitive candidate? Also, any advice on how to find the right opportunity for a new graduate?

Thanks!

Guest malliew

I am a new grad PA that went to a school in Arizona, and I can say this is pretty much true. No one will really consider you until you're at least processing your state license, and very few are willing to hire new grads.

If you could get a rotation here, that would be a great way to get your foot in the door, but it was very difficult for me to even attempt setting up a rotation here. I wish I had better news for you, but you're not likely to find new grad friendly places in around here unless you go out to Redding or Fresno.

I wish I had better news for you, but you're not likely to find new grad friendly places in around here unless you go out to Redding or Fresno.

I agree, live somewhere les desirable for a bit and get some experience. Then you can move to one of the big cities. As it is, it seems you need experience to be a good candidate in NYC, LA, SD, SF, chicago.

chris

• 1 year later...

ok I have read through and appreciate all the input, but again I'm looking for an updated opinion. I am a PA to be in Aug of 2011, getting my education on the east coast (Duke) but I'm looking into work in the bay area. What is the best way to approach the situation from afar, and have any new grads had luck? I'm looking into mostly surgical positions if possible.

Guest cabkrun
ok I have read through and appreciate all the input, but again I'm looking for an updated opinion. I am a PA to be in Aug of 2011, getting my education on the east coast (Duke) but I'm looking into work in the bay area. What is the best way to approach the situation from afar, and have any new grads had luck? I'm looking into mostly surgical positions if possible.

Tough market to crack if you haven't done your rotations here. Not impossible, but I believe it's harder. It's also a tight market right now. You have competition from a couple three other schools and new grads too.

A friend of mine graduated from UC Davis and is working in the Central Valley.

You might be in a better spot if you want something with surgery, because you won't have as much competition from UCSF (and Samuel Merritt) NP grads.

I would start poking around and networking now. Maybe Kaiser is a good place if you are willing. But you probably know this :)

Good luck to you and congrats on getting through school!

Archived