Clinical/HCE Hrs Verification

I am in the process of getting ready to apply to a few programs.  When certain programs require specific amount of HCE hrs, how do they go about verifying this?

The reason I am asking is because back in 2006 I worked as an EMT where I accrued close to 1000 hrs of HCE.  Initially I was part of their "EMT Academy" and then worked in an ALS unit.

I sent an email to this company to ask specifically the right amount of hrs I had worked.  They told me that there is no way for them to find out as its been more than 8 years and they usually don't keep documentation/records longer than 6 years.  They do have in records that I completed the EMT Academy because someone else (The instructor) keeps this log.

I am an RN, so I have more HCE, but I also want to add this amount I did as an EMT because its quite a good amount, and also learned a lot from it.

Do you guys have an idea of what I can do to have some sort of proof?   I was thinking of getting a statement letter from the EMT instructor stating that I was there for X amount of time.

Thanks in advance, 

Ed

I'm not sure how it is now, but ten years ago you just gave a name and contact info for each element of your HCE. Be honest with your claims, but very few places you work or volunteer keep hour-by-hour records forever.

I would keep whatever calculation you use to compute your hours in case it comes up later.

Much of the actual recording of your hours is on you. I volunteered as an EMT and had about 300 with one institution and 800 with another. Just make sure that you are honest. You may want to contact the person you listed as the contact and tell them that you are using them and how many hours you are submitting to CASPA. You dont want them to question how many hours you are there for. Just be honest and you wont have anything to worry about (theres a good chance caspa does not call them anyway)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only heard of a few schools requiring verification of those hours, and I'm specifically not applying to those ones.  Like you I would have a very difficult, if not impossible time getting all my hours verified.   I gave lower guestimates of the hours I worked.  Looking at the numbers it should be fairly easy for programs to see my numbers are guesses, as most of them are round numbers (1000, 500, 5000...)

Archived