Relocating to Austin

My family is considering moving to Austin, TX to be closer to family. I am currently working at a NYC hospital in Bone marrow transplant (just transferred fro. Internal medicine). I have 1 year, 4 months experience (mosttly in IM). What is a good salary to negotiate for in Austin?

For whatever the average pay is in other metro areas in Texas you can probably expect it to be lower than that due to supply/demand reportedly since it is a desirable location.  I have seen positions posted there however so there is a market.  Check the UT-Austin website and see if they are looking for anyone at the student health center (full scale facility from what I've heard).  Primary healthcare networks are St. David's and Brackenridge/University.  May be new opportunities down the road with the new UT-Austin med school taking their first class in 2016 reportedly.  No structures built for it as of yet though reportedly it will be at/near the area of the Ervin Special Events Center (SE of main campus).  If you actual reside on the north side of town toward Georgetown for example, you may be able to commute to outlying clinics associated with the newly merged Baylor HCS/Scott & White network which stretches all the way from Temple into the northern Dallas suburbs.

I just interviewed with a clinic in an Austin Suburb.

I used AAPA data and asked for the straight 50th percentile for PA's practicing IM in Texas (90k) [assuming <4 years experience]. I was informed that that was pretty steep and they had PA's that had been there for 4-5 years that make just around that.

I've also been informed by some PA friends in the area that it is MUCH lower than the rates in other areas in Texas. I haven't had the opportunity to negotiate yet, so I can't give you a figure.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived