Help! Need advice with Genetics prereq!!

I would like to apply to PA school this year's cycle. However, some of the schools I would really like to apply to require HUMAN genetics.

I have already graduated from undergrad with all the other prereqs necessary and my school doesn't offer human genetics unless you take other upper level biology courses first, which would be a waste of money and time.

I was wondering if anyone has had luck with online courses fulfilling their prerequisites, or better yet an online human genetics course which would suffice? 

I would be greatly appreciate for any help or advice!!!

I had the same issue because the PA school I got accepted too required Genetics. I am currently taking the class at a local university but the school would accept any online genetics class from an accredited university. I found that University of Oregon and Berkley in CA both have an online class.

I took genetics at UC Berkley, it is a lot of work but it fulfills the requirement. It is all online, but you need to set up a proctored final exam. I should also tell you that you should take the final exam about a month before the requirement needs to be fulfilled. They need 72 hours to process the final exam once all your work is handed in and they have up to 2 weeks to grade the exam once the university receives it. 

I would like to apply to PA school this year's cycle. However, some of the schools I would really like to apply to require HUMAN genetics.

I have already graduated from undergrad with all the other prereqs necessary and my school doesn't offer human genetics unless you take other upper level biology courses first, which would be a waste of money and time.

I was wondering if anyone has had luck with online courses fulfilling their prerequisites, or better yet an online human genetics course which would suffice? 

I would be greatly appreciate for any help or advice!!!

Fullerton College-California, offers it online, i believe the professors name is Jo-Wu- I took it about 5 yrs ago and it was pretty easy to follow- lessons, quizzes, and a project made up of all your coursework.

I took an online Genetics through Central Michigan University.  BIO 315.  They have multiple openings for this throughout the year, even the summer.  If I remember right it was an accelerated course of about 8 weeks.  The work load wasn't terrible and it satisfied the requirements for the schools that required them.  If you know what schools you are applying to, you can always email the program to make sure they take online science prereqs.  If you have any questions about the class, feel free to PM me. 

• 3 months later...

Did you guys have to call PA schools to ask if they would accept this type of genetics course (e.g. Genetics & Biotech in Society, Genetics & Evolutionary Bio, Human Genetics, General Genetics, Survey of General Genetics, etc.)? 

My school offers different genetic courses depending on the department (MCB or IB), but I was hoping to take it online at Fullerton college. I know that applicants have been using this online course to fulfill their genetics pre-requisites, but I just want to make sure.

The only school that I am applying to that require Genetics is Western Univ in CA.  I had to contact a counselor from the PA Department and submit a syllabus for the course before it was approved.  Took about a couple days. I assume they consulted a faculty member familiar with Genetics curricula.  Once it was approved I took the course online. Some schools also maintain a database of accepted courses from previously accepted applications. 

Good discussion. Personally I don't think this should be a prerequisite but as noted, some schools require it. So, my advice. Make sure both course content and delivery (online?) are ok with the program/a applying to. You may even want to ask a program, that accepts online, if they have a list of approved courses. They should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived