Candidates for the AAPA 2014 Elections need your help!!!!

Dear Fellow AAPA members and Friends,

I am writing you, in no official capacity, anything I say has not been approved or sanction by the Academy or any other constituent organization. As a fellow member in OUR Academy for over 30 years, I feel compelled to bring the most abominable and embarrassing issue I have encountered over those years. As you are aware, the 2014 Elections for the Academy Board of Directors began on April 1, 2014.

I'm appalled to find out that there have only been 600 votes cast in the first 11 days since voting started. I want to share some election figures from 2012 and 2013 Academy election:

A.      Total votes cast in 2012 was 2967, at day 11 = 1254 (42% of total votes cast), 835 in 1st two days (28% of total votes cast), after the 11th day there were only three days that exceed 250 vote, the highest was 337 on day 29 (11% of total votes cast), all other days were in double figures.

B.      Total votes cast in 2013 was 2847, at day 11 = 1553 (55% of total votes cast), 890 in 1st two days (31% of total votes cast), after the 11th day there were only two days that exceed 150 vote, the highest was 281 on day 29 (10% of total votes cast), and two days that exceeded 100 votes the highest was 114, all other days were in double figures.

C.      As you can see, over the past two years, the majority of the votes cast in the election were within the first 11 days.

D.      Interestingly, in both years there's been approximately 10% of the vote cast on the second last day of voting.

Unfortunately I have no "official" answers as to why we have such a low voter turnout. I am encouraging you to share this information with your Constituent Chapter leadership and your membership. The Academy has presented the general membership with an excellent slate of candidates and they deserve everyone's support. 600 voter participation out of over 31,000 eligible is abysmal. I hope you all share my sentiment and agree that something must be done ASAP. I think the candidates need to continue aggressively campaign over the next two weeks.

Many of you know me for a long time and I hope you do not feel I am overstepping my boundaries. And again I must repeat my disclaimer that I am doing this purely of my own volition and without any approval or sanctioning by the Academy. I am doing this as a past candidate, Academy Board of Directors member, chairman of the Judicial Affairs Committee and a concerned fellow member. Also, I believe this situation warrants some open debate during the upcoming House of Delegates in Boston. Thank you.

John D. Trimbath PA-C, MPAS

Archived