First week without doctor on campus

Well, I've been working at my family practice office with my solo physician for 6 months now  (my first gig).  He's been gone a day or two here and there.  Next week, he and his wife (the manager) feel comfortable enough to go on a week vacation and leave me in charge.  They aren't going far... 2-4 hours drive away... and of course they are both available via phone, text, etc.  I'm excited!  It feels a little like parents leaving the kid home alone for the first time.  Do you remember your first time you worked alone in the office for a week?

I do. Please don't drop anyone! And, don't get too excited either. When in doubt, ship out. Next patient, literally. At the end, it's the volume or # seen/day that are relevant. Your boss & his wife would love you. Job security. Jokes aside. I am assuming that you're in FM or IM. In your shoes. I would request for a lighter schedule 10 or so patients daily census w/ 30+min between/slot. No triple or double booking. Not ready to be abuse yet kind of mentality. You've earn the trust & I think its humbly. Silently celebrate. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Guest Paula

I started out working alone.  What were they thinking???? LOL!   I was part time solo  at a rural clinic on a reservation.  My other job was part-time in an UC/ER with lots of help...doc, nurses, RT, radiology, lab, cafeteria.  The UC job paved the way for me to know when a patient was in trouble at my FP job.  

Was an interesting first four years of practice. 

You will do great!

I do. Please don't drop anyone! And, don't get too excited either. When in doubt, ship out. Next patient, literally. At the end, it's the volume or # seen/day that are relevant. Your boss & his wife would love you. Job security. Jokes aside. I am assuming that you're in FM or IM. In your shoes. I would request for a lighter schedule 10 or so patients daily census w/ 30+min between/slot. No triple or double booking. Not ready to be abuse yet kind of mentality. You've earn the trust & I think its humbly. Silently celebrate. Hope this helps. Good luck.

great advice!

Archived