Plagiarism?

Guest cabkrun
Has anyone that is currently in a PA program had to deal with professor plagiarism of their lectures? Can anything be done about this?

I'm not in PA school, but plagiarism is a pretty serious charge. In what way do you believe this is happening? Most lectures I am used to are a regurgitation of information from other sources, so.....

I am not clear on what you are talking about in this case.

As a PA educator, I have shared some of my lectures and material with other educators freely. This is not uncommon in PA education. I received a course in EBM from some well known PA educators and was given verbal and written permission from them to use any and all material freely in any presentations. Of course, I always note their names on the title slide.

Have you mentioned your concerns with the person themselves?

gatorPA

• Administrator

Note that our topic starter has only made one post ever. I would recommend not losing too much sleep over this, since there's no real details of the issue here. There's a decent chance that this contributor won't ever come back to flesh out the situation, unfortunately.

The lecturer writes "written and prepared by" and his name on the lectures and they are taken slide for slide from a west coast community college usually. Other times it's straight copy and paste from wikipedia. Credit is never given to the original writer of the material. I have not addressed it formally to my school for fear of burning bridges. I'm just not sure if this is common practice as he is the only lecturer who does this.

Just be grateful you are getting lecture material from your instructor... He/she could always speak about the material and make you take your own notes and tell you to read from currents or harrison's... Be careful not to burn any bridges as it may come back to haunt you.

In this case I wish he would rather do that. It is obvious he has not written the lectures he is teaching and as a result it is, albeit in my opinion, not as good of an education. If we had to take our own notes on a lecture without a PowerPoint it would force him to at least review what he's teaching before he teaches it.

Note that our topic starter has only made one post ever. I would recommend not losing too much sleep over this, since there's no real details of the issue here. There's a decent chance that this contributor won't ever come back to flesh out the situation, unfortunately.

Sorry for my couple day delay...

Just because the source isn't plainly obvious to the student sitting in the seat, doesn't mean the material isn't cited elsewhere.

A few of us have copy and pasted one page of the lecture into google and found the exact same PowerPoint written by another professor at a community college on the west coast. Exact same PowerPoint and the original author is given no credit. Our professor writes on the lecture that it was written and prepared by him.

QUite honesty when I was a student I did not have the time to check to see if my professor was using some one elses lecture.... I was busy drinking from the firehose!!! Spend your time learning the material, it is a better use of your time!

When a professor is stumbling teaching a lecture and can't answer questions when put on the spot because they are unfamiliar with the lecture they are attempting to teach, as a PA student who wants to learn correct material, I am naturally looking for the source. Maybe this did not occur at your program and thus did not raise a red flag with you. However, it does with quite a few of us in my program and so that prompted me to find out if this is a normal practice.

Guest guthriesm

Wish I had an answer, let us know what you decide. One thought is that the material is actually supplied by the textbook creators - sometimes the publishers create slides in advance for the instructors to use free of charge. Another thought- see if someone could confidentially discuss it with the academic coordinator or program director. Point out that someone may have stolen the slides from *your* instructor.

I do know that my school has had one incident of confirmed plagiarism by a guest lecturer. That lecturer was asked not to return.

Archived