Choices and realism in pa school

Hi all I have very recently decided to become a pa and I am in deep turmoil about what to do. I just graduated from college with a unified science degree an I currently work as a phleb/lab assistant. I have also worked a year as a pharm tech

I did well in school and I have a 3.9 cgpa and 4.0 sgpa.
I haven't taken the gre but I expect to do well.

I would like to apply for this upcoming cycle but I am unsure whether I would even get an interview. I would like to get my emt certification and work for a bit but I would only be working to increase my odds for pa school (I think that it would be rewarding as well). I guess my question is would it be worth to push pa school back or should I be all in this year?

Guest RainbowUnikittyPAC

It doesn't hurt to apply.  Worst case scenario you don't get in, you keep improving your application and you apply next year.  It sounds like you have a reasonably competitive application, good grades, good HCE.  Where's the harm in trying?  Seems like so many people are super wrapped up in deciding the "perfect" time to apply.

Hey so I had a similar situation to you, I had about 500 volunteer hours, GPA 3.7,  and MCAT score of 36. I applied and then after applying got an EMT license just in case I didn't get in. I ended up getting into USC, Midwestern, Pace Lennox, and Arcadias dual MPH program. :) It's possible. Good luck!

PS I actually did put my MCAT score on my app. Didn't seem to hurt me any. But I also put my GRE scores on too. 

I agree with the above. If your MCAT was decent then it reinforces your aptitude in the sciences. Just be ready to answer the "Why not med school?" question thoroughly during interviews. A 29 is a respectable score  but since it is on the borderline of being competitive it may raise questions with the admissions committee  as to your reasons for applying to PA school as opposed to med school, so just make sure you articulate what you have explained here.

Archived