Can I get some feedback on how to improve my stats.

Info:

Undergrad- Lawrence University

Major-Biology

GPA- 3.51

Science GPA- Unknown, probably close to, if not higher than the 3.51

Post-Bacc- 4.0

GRE: 159 V, 147 Q (Yeah, not a math fan.) W ? waiting to get results.

I will probably end up retaking the GRE to get my Q up.

Direct Patient Care:

100 hours- Home Health Aide

700 hours- CNA Nursing home

700 hours(by the time of application)- PCA @ Mayo Clinic- General Medicine

I will be continuing to work at Mayo up until starting a PA program. Do any PA schools consider HCE coming from application, until matriculation?

Indirect Patient Care:

480 Hours working to develop and implement an adverse drug event detection system at a hospital.

20 hours volunteering to visit patients and provide refreshments for them and the family.

Extracurriculars:

Captain Lawrence Football team.  Most improved defensive player Junior year. Football representative SAAC on campus. Helped organize special olympics event with SAAC.  Volunteered ~20 hours building homes for Habitat for Humanity.  ~40 hours volunteered mentoring students at a local elementary school. ~100 hours mentoring a young boy with a brain tumor through the Friends of Jacyln foundation.

Shadowing:

PA-C ER 16 hrs

PA-C Urgent Care 8hrs

PA-C Colorectal surgery- 4hrs

MD- Open-heart surgery-4hrs

MD-Gastric surgery-5hrs

I plan on having more shadowing experience in the near future.

LOR: I have two for sure people that would write me strong letters.  One is my anatomy and physiology professor, the other is the MD that oversaw my work on the adverse drug event tracking system.  I am trying to find a PA that I can shadow and will hopefully write me one once I get to know him/her.

So, that is me on paper.  If anyone could give me some constructive criticism on where I should be looking to improve that would be awesome!  Oh, this is my first go around, I took a gap year to accur more HCE.

Thanks!

Looks good. If you target programs requiring 500-1000 hrs of hce you should be fine. looks like you are very well rounded with a good mix of gpa, hce, shadowing, community service, etc.

keep working on the hce. ask programs you are interested in about the gre. you may not need to retake it. lots of places only require that it be taken, but really don't care what your score is.

Archived