C- in Chem pre reqs

I'm sorry if this has been asked multiple times but I just couldn't find a post on it. I know I should personally call all the schools I am interested in but I just wanted to hear from people's experience who might've been in the same situation as I am. So right now my cummulative GPA is 3.6, but freshman year was really rough for me and I got 2 c- in both gen chem I & II. Gen Chem was such a struggle but I did really well in all my upper level, A in orgo I & II and A in Biochem I & II.

Alot of the schools that I am interested in requires a "C" or above in each pre reqs. My question is will I get screened out right off the bat even with a 3.6 and thousands of hrs of HCE and everything else align?

Everybody is telling me to retake it but honestly, if I can avoid gen chem, I will do whatever I can to avoid it. And even if I were to retake it again, I really don't think I'm gonna do any better.

I had to retake my chem 10 years later and got an A the second time around and a C+ the first time.  Also, you have done a lot of ochem and bio chem that will help you out.  Also, you are more mature and know how to study now.  Just suck it up and give it your all.

If they said a grade of C- or below for a prereq is not accepted then that means it won't be accepted. Ya it sucks to have to re-take a class you already technically passed but you're a better student now and you've already seen the material so it shouldn't be that bad.

:( yeah,  alot of the schools I am applying to requires a "C" or higher grade in all the pre-reqs. This really sucks because those are the only 2 C- that I have on my transcript. I was really hoping they would see my upward trend and somehow would forgive me for those 2 C-. The problem is I don't think I somehow "matured" in my way of strudying because I didn't do anything different when it came to other courses including orgo and biochem. That's why I'm afraid I'm not gonna do better than a C-. Thank you all for the response. I'm gonna call the school to varify and if they say the same thing, like you all said, I'm just gonna suck it up and do it again.

:( yeah,  alot of the schools I am applying to requires a "C" or higher grade in all the pre-reqs. This really sucks because those are the only 2 C- that I have on my transcript. I was really hoping they would see my upward trend and somehow would forgive me for those 2 C-. The problem is I don't think I somehow "matured" in my way of strudying because I didn't do anything different when it came to other courses including orgo and biochem. That's why I'm afraid I'm not gonna do better than a C-. Thank you all for the response. I'm gonna call the school to varify and if they say the same thing, like you all said, I'm just gonna suck it up and do it again.

You will do better, trust me.  You will be able to conceptualize some of the abstract math problems far better this time around since you have a better inclination to how things are supposed to work (due to Ochem/Biochem success AND the fact that you've already taken GChe 1 and 2).  Trust me, you're going to do significantly better retaking GChem 1 and 2.

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope you're right. I'm just gonna stomach it and take it over. It just blows because I have to repeat classes I've already taken, when I've excelled in all my upper levels. I really do hope this isn't frowned upon so much to the point I can't get an acceptance.

Archived