Community College VS University Credits - Pros and Cons?

@Maynard

From what you are describing, it sounds like you pretty much got a degree from a degree mill.  You may have learned the material and have deserved your degree, but that is how an adcom is going to see what I think you are describing.   

The term "degree mill" is usually reserved for non-accredited schools, and my college was fully accredited by the same agency that Harvard and Yale get their accreditation from. Look at the fine print for your undergrad institution and you'll see that they allow test-outs as well, just as not as many credits. When I was exploring the idea of going to the University of Maryland I saw they set the limit at 60 credits. Schools generally require you take a certain number credits in-house because that's where they get their money, but the vast majority of colleges still honor test-outs, even if few students take advantage of them (with the exception of high school AP exams).

The CC has pretty much nothing to do with it unless you are applying to the couple of schools who do care 

As I referenced earlier, I have posed my situation in detail to PAAdmissions, and her response is that where I took my classes might have had a lot to do with my results, in part because I had a bad first try at college. She also added that she doesn't think my test-outs would have seriously hurt my chances. She is the director of admissions for a PA school.

as an undergrad alumnus of a state university and having had many/recommended many family members attend community college I do not believe it to necessarily be an inferior experience. Just suggesting what some might say   .... and also the concern I have about individuals doing post bac work very part time and at schools which may not offer a rigorous experience.  

as an undergrad alumnus of a state university and having had many/recommended many family members attend community college I do not believe it to necessarily be an inferior experience. Just suggesting what some might say   .... and also the concern I have about individuals doing post bac work very part time and at schools which may not offer a rigorous experience.  

My post bacc work is very part time. How else am I supposed to get pre reqs done when I work 3-4 12 hour rotating shifts a week. If PA schools want people with great HCE that's just the nature of the best that they have to deal with.

It shouldn't, but it does. Again, I reiterate that you can be successful in applying to PA school with prerequisites from a CC. However, it is something that can only work against you.

From Ask a PA admissions director (in response to my own question):

My #1 concern would be where you took your prerequisites... Our program thinks where you took the prerequisites and how many credits you attempted at one time to be important when you have applicants who may have had a rocky start to college many years ago.

http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/5556-ask-a-pa-admissions-director/page-74

From an interview with Brenda Armstrong, director of admissions for Duke medical school:

Does it look bad to take science courses away from your undergraduate institution?

Armstrong: It looks bad to take your pre-medical prerequisites away. You do not ever want to do that. You can take other courses that are not required but you do not want to take prerequisites anywhere other than your base school.

Vault Insider Guide to Medical School Admissions. P. 99

(you can read this on Google Books)

I got offered an interview at Duke and declined...as I stated earlier I took my pre requisites at a CC. Racking up the debt just doesn't make sense especially since the average PA salary is 80-100 grand/year. My 18 applications were spread across the US as well (I just wanted to get in). Go the cheapest route possible (but make sure you do well!) No school will NOT accept you over this fact...they look at the complete package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived