RN to Hospitalist or .mil PA

Hey all,

I have already used the search feature on the forums and found many answers, but I still would like to have some specific input for my situation.

I am 25 (currently an Army Reservist) and work as a nurse in the critical care area but have recently thought about the PA route. NP curriculum doesn't interest me and I feel the regulation boards are too fragmented and haphazard. I have thought about MD/DO but the years of student and resident status would be a profound burden on my life goals however I understand being a physician is the typical gold standard of medicine which is why I haven't ruled it out completely. I have also looked at going back to active duty because I like how PAs are utilized in line combat units and their widespread autonomy. Since I work in acute care I get to see the role of a hospitalist everyday and I like the broad exposure they have to different facets of medicine. That is my other option other than the military route.

Basically I want to hear some experiences but I will also throw down some questions if you guys have the time.

1. How do PA schools feel about RN applicants? Do they view it negatively as jumping ship from nursing to medicine?

2. Do hospitalist PAs usually take full patient loads and manage care rather than just admission and discharges? Are PAs looked at as equal providers to MDs?

3. Any recent .mil PA experiences? I realize with the glut of Army residents, hospitalist positions are rare. I have also looked at IPAP

4. I live on the West Coast and am open to move. Any recommendations for schools that would value my RN experience? OR recommendations for schools in general? It's hard to find many real reviews of PA schools on the internet.

5. Also do you guys recommend the optional PA residency after graduation?

6. Realistic salary for acute care PAs on the West Coast?

Any other advice? I might have 1-2 pre req classes left before I can apply to most schools

Hey all,

I have already used the search feature on the forums and found many answers, but I still would like to have some specific input for my situation.

I am 25 (currently an Army Reservist) and work as a nurse in the critical care area but have recently thought about the PA route. NP curriculum doesn't interest me and I feel the regulation boards are too fragmented and haphazard. I have thought about MD/DO but the years of student and resident status would be a profound burden on my life goals however I understand being a physician is the typical gold standard of medicine which is why I haven't ruled it out completely. I have also looked at going back to active duty because I like how PAs are utilized in line combat units and their widespread autonomy. Since I work in acute care I get to see the role of a hospitalist everyday and I like the broad exposure they have to different facets of medicine. That is my other option other than the military route.

Basically I want to hear some experiences but I will also throw down some questions if you guys have the time.

1. How do PA schools feel about RN applicants? Do they view it negatively as jumping ship from nursing to medicine?

2. Do hospitalist PAs usually take full patient loads and manage care rather than just admission and discharges? Are PAs looked at as equal providers to MDs?

3. Any recent .mil PA experiences? I realize with the glut of Army residents, hospitalist positions are rare. I have also looked at IPAP

4. I live on the West Coast and am open to move. Any recommendations for schools that would value my RN experience? OR recommendations for schools in general? It's hard to find many real reviews of PA schools on the internet.

Any other advice? I might have 1-2 pre req classes left before I can apply to most schools

1) they like them.

2)depending in the job, yes. Seen as equal, that's pushing it.

3) ask me again in a year

4)wherever you want that you feel is best for you. I recommend cheaper the better.

5)Yes.

6)depends on too much. At least 80k. Maybe you can command more with enough RN experience.

Feel free to PM with questions.

O'neal, PA-S, RN

4 years CC experience

Navy Officer Candidate

Guest Paula

I had 4 RNs in my PA class, one with a Phd in Psychology and she had been a professor in a nursing school.  She dropped out of NP school to go to PA school.  

As others have stated, no.  It is actually an advantage.

From my limited experience working with hospitalist PA's, I would say yes....they take full patient loads.  Looked at as equal to physician's....that is a weird question.  No, hospitalists PA's are looked at like PA's.  The work might be equal, but he training isn't....physicians are the top of the food chain. You have to know and accept that.  You could be a PA with 20 years experience but a Physician right out of residency trumps you....this is where maturity and tact come in.  This said, you should be treated every bit like the provider you are.

My only real experiences will mil PA's were with the AF.  They are predominantly in FP.  Zero hospitalist positions that I am aware of. 

Stanford or Medex

Depends.  With your experience, you have a better grasp of the area you want to go into.  The transition might not be that bad.  That said, there certainly is no harm in doing a residency.  I would say it is really a matter of finances for you.  Young with zero experience...different story.

Don't know.

Sorry! To clarify I didn't mean PAs=MDs, I was just wondering if their caseload and duties were the same or similar as a hospitalist.

Duties and case loads would be the same. Obviously jobs differ. Some places have them doing the same, some hire a PA to do all the admissions/discharges, but basically the same.

Archived