Wait Listed and Reapplying

Wondering who else out there is in the same boat as I am, I imagine at this time of the application cycle I'm not alone. I am wait listed to one school. I got one other interview and wasn't accepted. I applied to 7 schools. My overall GPA is 3.3 and my science GPA is 3.8. GRE 153 quantitative and 160 verbal. The weak parts of my application were only having the minimum number of patient contact hours at the time (1000) and almost no shadowing experience. I also come from a non-science/non-healthcare background...I am a professional oboist with a master's in music. I think this works both to my benefit and detriment. I also need better LORs, I finally got a job in the hospital as a CNA (as opposed to the nursing home) but doctors and PAs never see you work really so getting an LOR from one of them is very hard. It's also incredibly difficult to find shadowing opportunities. I lived in Mexico for a few years and working hard to become fluent in Spanish. Anyway, I am having a hard time accepting that I'm going to have to apply again but that time is comin' 'round and even if I managed a seat from the wait list I wouldn't know it before I'd have to apply again. I don't think I've accepted this reality as of yet but I'm getting there. One big question I have at the moment is this online biochemistry course I'm taking. OMG is it rough but I need for two of the schools (not the one I'm waitlisted at, though). I have an 86 in the class right now  (I had a 92 until this morning....the midterm, ugh) but am TERRIFIED of the final exam which is a little over a month away. I am SOOO scared of screwing up my GPA with this course and am becoming very tempted to drop it...a class that I have put a LOT of work into already and paid $850 for. I'm frozen in fear at the moment of having to reapply as a less competitive applicant in terms of GPA. Anyone else having similar experiences? Anyone have any advice?

I've been in your boat before. I was an alternate at program last year because I applied later in the cycle. Second time applying and I got accepted. I worked my behind off to get to this point. It wasn't fun and it wasn't easy. Fear of "failure" was all too familiar but, I never let that fear stop me from trying...that is true failure....not to try or give up on yourself. Don't do that. Some people don't get in on their first try. So, what? Who cares? In the end we will still be PAs. Biochemistry wasn't very difficult for me but, I can't imagine taking it online. Just stay on top of your studies and get your game plan together for the cycle opening up. Get as many direct patient care hours as possible. Volunteer and shadow. Introduce yourself to the PAs in the hospital and tell them about your goals. They may be willing to write an LOR for you after a few conversations. Network! You won't know until you try. Fear is the biggest deterrent.

Your situation sounds very much like mine. I feel your pain.

The best option with your online course is to just study harder. You're in a bad emotional space right now. You're talking about accepting defeat and you haven't even gotten final word yet. You seem depressed and that depressed thinking will only lead you toward defeatist decisions. Your post implies that you're on the wait list for one of the two schools that required this class. You would have to be crazy to drop this if you need it for a school you could still conceivable get into this cycle.

Make that class your one priority for the moment. The work could energize you out of the funk you're in and help take your mind off all the other things you can't control. Drop it and you're just going to mope around (like I've been doing).

You're only four points shy of an A and you still have over a month to prepare for the final. This is a very manageable situation. Stay in. Buckle down. Focus.

Thanks...^^ you are right but I actually don't need this class for the school I'm waitlisted for BUT I do need it for 2 other schools and one of them is as close to a sure thing as this gets. UGH. You're right though....about it all. Thanks again...needed that. BUT then my next thought is WHAT IF I don't get the 70 (minimum to pass for everyone who takes the class) and I (gasp) fail it would crush my GPA then I'd really be in a bad place. BUT yes that is accepting defeat and not the attitude that has gotten me this far, that's for sure. And don't mope around...that's coming from someone who's been moping around. :) I NEVER thought I'd feel this way, I've been 'nothing's gonna stop me' for so long I didn't think that attitude could vanish so easily. But let's snap out of it, we can do this! 

I am similarly wait listed and preparing for the possibility of a second cycle. Right now I am taking organic chemistry II and understand where you are coming from. I didn't do as well as I expected on the first exam and for the second exam I studied a lot more to ensure that I would do better - and I did. For me organic chemistry has not come as easy as my other science courses and I have used additional tools to help me study more efficiently. After the first test I adjusted my study habits and utilized outside websites, youtube, and books aside from the required textbooks. Judging from your science GPA I would say you have the capability to excel in this course. I am sure you are already putting a lot of work into this class, but I agree with the above poster that probably the best thing you can do is study more. I would also try some other study methods, because I know that helped me a ton. If I were in your shoes I wouldn't drop the course just in case you don't get into the school at which you are wait listed. Remember that even if you don't get in this year the next cycle is coming soon enough and your application will only be stronger. There are plenty of things that you can improve aside from GPA. Just don't forget there is still a chance and stay positive! Good luck :)

Archived