Future Seattle/Tacoma Students

Wanted to start a thread for people working towards applying to Medex. I have only just begun preparing and thought connecting with others who are "walking in my shoes" would be great help. Wanted to be able to collaborate ideas, experiences, and information so that we can all help each other.

Right now I am struggling with finding 100% online classes to complete my pre-req's. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I am going to have to take classes from multiple institutions. Is this pretty common and accepted?

I've missed the sign up for the information session for Medex and am feeling a little lost. I just want to make sure I am on the right track and not wasting my time. I'm excited about applying when I can get these pre-req's complete, and excited to connect with others who are with me in this process!

So, c'mon, who's with me!?

I've been accepted to Seattle, and I had a TON of different institutions. Like 10!!! I took classes wherever I could find them where I could keep working and volunteering, and MEDEX didn't bat an eye.

If you have other questions, please reach out to us current students, too! I've found MEDEX to be a bunch of pretty cool, collaborative students. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks kt (I'm a kt too!). I'm thinking about taking my A&P at a place called Chemeketa CC in Oregon (Online). I originally took it at CWU just prior to Paramedic school, but that was in '08 so I want to take it again (love A&P anyway!). Any other suggestions, or any suggestions for the other sciences?

And by the way... congratulations! Makes me super happy (and hopeful) to hear of others' success. Don't forget to have fun, and don't get too stressed out with all that studying. I've seen first hand (okay, maybe second hand) that it can put a lot of stress on one's personal life, as well as thier student life! I'll be a great experience.

You're starting this summer than? Or did you mean you are in your first year?

Congrats on starting your journey! It's a long process but totally worth it! I was accepted to be part of Tacoma class 2 and can't wait to start. I think the information sessions start up again in the spring so there will be plenty of opportunities to attend one. Keep an eye out on the MEDEX website for the dates/times. I had classes from two institutions. As far as what sciences to take to fulfill the pre req for the health related science: I took two chem courses and another human biology course and it was enough. I can imagine finding all online classes would be tough. I know there are some A&P courses that are "hybrid" courses where you spend most of the time online with a few lab days. I love A&P as well! If you have any questions I would be happy to help any way I can!

Thank you for the congratulations! Yes, I am starting this summer, and I've never been more excited. Here's the cool thing that I found about MEDEX (and I think other people can back me up on this): I had a fairly low sGPA (3.4), and I thought a school like UW was completely out of the picture, until I found that early interview invite in my inbox (commence freaking out and crying) and shortly thereafter, the call from Tim offering me admission. 

They really care about the type of class they are assembling, who you are as a person, and why this is your driving passion. My personal statement was like that, so were my answers to the supplemental...and that's my advice to you. Pour your heart out (in an eloquent manner, of course) and really let them know what is going to make YOU the best UW PA they've ever seen. ;) 

Good luck, and seriously...keep postin', keep pluggin', and keep asking questions. I know that I, for one, am happy to answer. 

So I have spent some time these last couple of weeks trying to figure out what classes to take and where to take them.

Has anybody heard and know anything about Western Governor's University? It is fully online, and I think based out of Seattle. I have heard from some people I should totally take classes there, and I have heard from others some strange things... like they may not offer grade, just pass/fail... which is obviously a deal-breaker.

Also, I was wondering, what is considered a "Basic Science Course" to fulfill the 15 science credit requirement? I have taken classes like Medical Terminology, which is a science course, but am not sure if this counts because it seems very low-level.

I am currently trying to get an appointment for some advising with someone from the program so I am better directed, and can make sure I am working efficiently, but until then, I got you guys!

Wanted to start a thread for people working towards applying to Medex. I have only just begun preparing and thought connecting with others who are "walking in my shoes" would be great help. Wanted to be able to collaborate ideas, experiences, and information so that we can all help each other.

Right now I am struggling with finding 100% online classes to complete my pre-req's. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I am going to have to take classes from multiple institutions. Is this pretty common and accepted?

I've missed the sign up for the information session for Medex and am feeling a little lost. I just want to make sure I am on the right track and not wasting my time. I'm excited about applying when I can get these pre-req's complete, and excited to connect with others who are with me in this process!

So, c'mon, who's with me!?

Hopefully they don't look too poorly on credits from multiple schools; I have college credits from ~10 different colleges and am planning on applying to MEDEX for next year!

Where in the country are you?  Maybe people know places in the area you can do prerequisites 

ktcan replied earlier that she also had credits from about 10 different schools, and it wasn't a problem! So, I hope that gives you a little peace of mind!

My problem is, I am working full-time as a Paramedic, so my schedule not exactly your standard Sun-Sat deal. So, I have to take all 100% online courses, which is tough, because I have not found a single accredited institution that is legit for transferring credits out that has all the classes I need. So, I have a little peace of mind knowing others were in the same boat and were still able to accomplish their goal.

I am in the Seattle area. I actually live north of Seattle, possibly move to Seattle in the next 6 months, depending on what ends up being the best thing for me to get these pre-requisites finished. I actually work in Wenatchee, WA which is on the eastside of the state... 120 mile commute. But I knock out my 48 hour shift every 6 days and I'm back on the westside. It works.

Good luck on applying! I was looking at my past transcripts and figured, if I am lucky, I may be able to apply by the next deadline, buuut will more comfortably be able to apply by next year. Maybe we will cross paths, we will see! Where are you located?

Regarding classes, I found the hybrid versions quite helpful as someone with any atypical work schedule.  As mentioned previously, it allows you to do most of the classwork at home while attending class only one day per week.

South Seattle CC offers hybrid versions of A&P 1, A&P 2, and Microbiology.

North Seattle CC offers hybrids of the inorganic chemistry series (Chem& 161, 162, 163).  They also offer a hybrid Genetics course once per year.

I work a 48/96 schedule and of course this is not a typical work week but I was able to do all my pre reqs with in class courses. Sure I had to give up hours or do shift trades that put me into a 72 hour shift but it is totally doable. Put your mind to it and anything is possible. Shadowing is definitely important! MEDEX says it isn't "required" but rest assured that if you don't they will ask you about it at an interview. The same goes for community service. I had 20 hours or so between a underserved family care clinic and an urgent care.

Sure I had to give up hours or do shift trades that put me into a 72 hour shift but it is totally doable. Put your mind to it and anything is possible. 

Absolutely. I've been giving away my scheduled Monday shifts for the last 5 months (and picking up other shifts) in order to attend my OChem classes.  If you want it, you'll get it done.

Is shadowing important to include on the application for UW Medex?

As a point of reference, I only had 4 hours of shadowing (in the ED where I'm also employed per diem).  I wasn't invited for an interview.  Take from that what you will, but I certainly plan on shadowing much more before it's time to reapply.

Shadowing is very important to the process; while it is not a "requirement", it's a chance to learn about what you are getting yourself into.  Try to get connected with as many types of PAs and MDs.  In particular, look for places that broaden your experience.  Take notes (while respecting the confidentiality of the patients you meet), as you will want to refer back to the experiences you have as you shadow.  If your PA is engaging, ask questions so that you can understand his decisions, and ask questions about how to apply to schools.  This is a gold mine for your application process.

I was advised by two PAs to aim for at least 40 hours of shadowing.  My health care related experience was in social work, so I felt additional "hard core medical" hours would be helpful.  I did 66, watching PAs and MDs work in emergency medicine, sports medicine, surgery, psychiatry, an HIV specialty clinic and family practice.  

I can't say what the admissions committee thinks about shadowing, but I got interviews at three schools.  I was accepted to my top school (the UW), and withdrew all standing applications.

Best of luck!!!

--jlumsden

P.S.  The bare minimum (i.e. requirements) is not the bar you should set for yourself.  Do more (i.e. shadowing, classes, volunteering), so you can stand out from the thousand other people who apply and meet the bare minimum.

Like jlumsden said...good stories from shadowing. I actually featured a story from a shadowing experience in my application essay. Shadowing a PA was a transformational experience for me; it really highlighted that I was doing the right thing for me and that this was my passion. I was really inspired by the experience and my essay (roughly) took the reader through the journey of becoming an EMT, realizing a passion for patient care, and then following that passion to PA (through shadowing). 

On the subject of shadowing, jlumsden is right...shadow as widely as possible, because you might also discover a specialty or a passion for primary care that you didn't know you had already. And don't get discouraged if you have trouble finding people to shadow. You just have to keep asking. And asking. And asking. Personally, I went to all my shadowing begging sessions in person. I found a MUCH higher rate of return on those than emails, phone calls, forum posts, etc. Whether you like it or not, people form an impression of you just from meeting you, and I found that it was much easier for a busy PA to forget to return a phone call or email than it was to ignore me standing in their office. 

Hey everyone! Congrats to those that were accepted. I am considering of applying for the next cycle-- but their site is giving me so much confusion. For those that were accepted, which site did you end up applying to and why? Did you apply for the Bachelors or Masters? If you picked Bachelors, why not Masters (besides the GRE)? And for those that are applying/applied, do they look at the science GPA/BCP GPA or just the prereqs on the site? Thanks in advance for the responses-- I'm just trying to see if this is a good fit for me (as I'm scrolling and scrolling looking for the answers to my questions around this forum). 

I am not the expert here, but here is what i know...

If you already have your bachelors, you would apply for the masters program (Seattle). If not, then you would apply for the bachelors program with your preferred site.

They state they do not require a minimum GPA at all... but the average has been an overall GPA of about 3.2.

Keep in mind I have not applied yet, nor have I attended an info session. Maybe attending an info session would be helpful to you once they have the next one available. If not(if you are out of state or something), than this forum has been a great help for me. Good luck in your search for answers!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hey everyone! Congrats to those that were accepted. I am considering of applying for the next cycle-- but their site is giving me so much confusion. For those that were accepted, which site did you end up applying to and why?

I applied and was accepted to the Seattle Master's Program.  I am interested in being a PA who provides care to people with developmental disabilities.  I chose Seattle because I live there, and because there is an excellent network of services here for people with disabiliites (to which I am already connected, professionally).

Did you apply for the Bachelors or Masters? If you picked Bachelors, why not Masters (besides the GRE)?

I chose the Master's level program because I already have two BAs and an MA, and because the PA profession could phase out it's BA level certification (it's on ongoing debate, as I understand, and I don't want to land on the wrong side).  Incidentally, I would not let the GRE be the deciding factor in this decision.  While the UW requires it, I understand they are not obsessed with such numbers.  Obviously, both the Bachelor's and Master's level programs are competitive enough even without considering the GRE.

And for those that are applying/applied, do they look at the science GPA/BCP GPA or just the prereqs on the site? Thanks in advance for the responses-- I'm just trying to see if this is a good fit for me (as I'm scrolling and scrolling looking for the answers to my questions around this forum).

The admissions staff at MEDEX are going to take a careful look at how you've performed in all of your classes.  During the interview session, I was asked about two of the classes on my transcript.  A high science GPA can only help you, especially if you've taken more science classes than just the prerequisites. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived