New Ohio PA Bill Introduced

This was introduced this week. The bill to give us admission rights passed and is on the Governor's desk. Behind some states, but this is progress. Maybe I will soon regain muscle tone when my SP is more than 60 minutes away!

HB412 – the PA Bill – was recently introduced by Representative Gonzales and had sponsor testimony in the House Health and Aging Committee on January 29th. The bill:

1. Removes the approval process by the OSMB of the physician’s supervision agreement (which can take up to 3 months).  This will allow a doc to sign supervision agreement paperwork along with the PA signing it and then file it at his/her office and send a copy to the OSMB.  The PA may begin practice immediately.
  2. Creates ONE process for applications for license to practice and prescribe (presently there are three application processes).
  3. Changes the language of certificate to practice to license.
  4. Removes the 60 minute requirement for travel time for the doctor and allow the doctor to determine what distance is safe.
  5. Allows PAs to delegate to MAs.
  6. Removes the restrictive “list” of procedures a PA may perform and allows the doc to delegate duties within his/her scope of practice.
  7. Increases the number of PAs a doctor may supervise at one time to 5 (presently it is at 2).
  8. Allow PAs from another state who have been practicing and prescribing for 3 or more consecutive years to come to Ohio and obtain a license to practice and prescribe without a master’s degree.
  9. Clarifies the wording: routinely practices to “where the physician has oversight and control”.

This is good news! There are fewer PA in Ohio partly because of it law. I'm confident that as the law becomes more friendly and favorable that more and more PA would stay in Ohio or relocate there to practice. And, with time, PAs and NPs would be treated the same. As it stands now, NP have the upper hands and they will do whatever it takes to keep things they way they are. I do not regret returning to my home state to practice.

Keep us posted on the process.  Michigan PAs are in limbo with the bill we have introduced.  Some of these things take a long time to pass.  Hope Ohio's bill is quick and passes without any further negative changes. 

I really hope this bill passes. I had to move to MI because Ohio is NOT AT ALL PA friendly! Let me know if there is anything else i can do at this point to help. ( in the future too)

Julie, are you aware of the MI senate bills 568,569 and 570?  Read my posts on the State forum under MI.  MI  PAs need to push for the bills which are advocating for collaborative practices (delete supervision and delegation from the Public Health Code) and asking for independent prescribing rights?  I believe the bill is somewhat stalled or in committee. 

Archived