Need some advice on becoming a PA with a Felony

Hello,

I have a serious question, can I be a PA with a felony on my record? I was pulled over and had my weapon in my car that was registered to me but my carry permit had expired. I was charged and convicted of illegal possession of a firearm a felony in my state and was giving three years probation this is the only blemish  that I have on my record as I have never been in trouble with the law prior to this. I am going through my pre-requisits in college for a bio degree. My question is am I wasting my time? I don't want to continue through the expense and time in school if at the end I wont get licensed or accepted into a PA program. Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Good question.  Have you tried contacting the state medical board where you'd like to live/practice?  You probably wouldn't have to put yourself too far out there (e.g. giving them your name if you wanted to keep that out of the discussion for now).  Calling them up and asking might be enough to give you an idea regarding what you'd be up against.

Good question.  Have you tried contacting the state medical board where you'd like to live/practice?  You probably wouldn't have to put yourself too far out there (e.g. giving them your name if you wanted to keep that out of the discussion for now).  Calling them up and asking might be enough to give you an idea regarding what you'd be up against.

I Actually emailed them but have yet to hear back. I really hope it doesnt bar me from this as this is what i feel i was meant to do. It sucks mistakes in life can haunt you forever but I hope the take into account that i have never been in trouble before nor after and I did have a valid carry permit at one time but unintentionally let it expire which was an oversite on my part. I would just hate to bust my chops and finish school to only be told NO and have 75K+ in debt for nothing.

I would call them. An email like that could sound like joke to the Board.

I also wonder if you have documentation that proves the facts of your defense (how you were arrested, that you had an expired CC permit at the time), etc. That would seem to mitigate your conviction. Otherwise it could have been just a thug arrested with an illegal weapon, which might be a very different case.

You might want to talk with a lawyer and, depending on your age at the time, he or she might be of some help.

Good luck.

I would call them. An email like that could sound like joke to the Board.

I also wonder if you have documentation that proves the facts of your defense (how you were arrested, that you had an expired CC permit at the time), etc. That would seem to mitigate your conviction. Otherwise it could have been just a thug arrested with an illegal weapon, which might be a very different case.

You might want to talk with a lawyer and, depending on your age at the time, he or she might be of some help.

Good luck.

I actually do have a letter from my Attorney Stating those facts, since I needed it for my current jobs HR department. This just happened last June. I guess a phone call is what may be needed since I havent heard back from the board yet.

Contact an attorney in your state who specialized in expungement and sealing of records. These laws differ from state to state but in the best case scenario you can have the record sealed and legally check "no" when asked if you have ever been convicted of a felony. Worst case scenario you don't have a legal method of sealing or expunging the record, in which case the time since conviction and your positive reflection on it would greatly benefit you in front of a committee.

Keep in mind:

-As you note, acceptance to PA school and licensure are two very different things. A school might be willing to overlook this when a licensing board will not.

-Different states boards might view this very differently depending upon the politics and "gun culture" in that state. In the Northeast, New Hampshire might think something like this is funny. In New Hampshire you can walk in a store, buy a firearm, tuck it in you belt and go your way. New Jersey on the other hand has essentially no CCW system and would view this poorly.

The advice above to contact an attorney is good advice.

Archived