Resignation notice

employers are liablefor slander. If you suspect a previous employer is slandering you through new jobs calling, then i suggest you utilize one of many companies that call on your behalf and record all communication. These services are also applicable in court and help prevent blacklisting. Lawyers love these outside companies and can litigate for big $$.I recommend leaving when you are ready and coinciding with the contract agreement. Most PAs have multiple reliable references through work/rotation relations.

employers are liablefor slander. If you suspect a previous employer is slandering you through new jobs calling, then i suggest you utilize one of many companies that call on your behalf and record all communication. These services are also applicable in court and help prevent blacklisting. Lawyers love these outside companies and can litigate for big $$.I recommend leaving when you are ready and coinciding with the contract agreement. Most PAs have multiple reliable references through work/rotation relations.

That's BS. You can't win. You would not have the energy or time to fight. Not to mention legal fees. You're just a PA (assistant) is what you will be told. It can be nasty. Plus if your prospective employer knew about your legal fight with prior employer, that would become a red flag. If you have bills and family who depend on you etc. Then be as professional as you can and do your very best and leave on good terms.

I've actually had this conversation with the HR people at different jobs I've had in the past (including one large, multi-hospital system with facilities in multiple states).  They have all independently related that their policy for former employees is to comment only on position held, dates employed and whether or not the person in question is eligible for rehire.

The reason for such limited information is lawsuits that have been filed on allegations of slander, or similarly negative comments, that prevented someone from getting a job.  Proving such allegations can be difficult.  But that doesn't stop someone from pursuing the legal action.

As for a prospective employer getting wind of legal action it is advised to wait until you have a job and are working again before taking legal action against a previous employer.

That's BS. You can't win. You would not have the energy or time to fight. Not to mention legal fees. You're just a PA (assistant) is what you will be told. It can be nasty. Plus if your prospective employer knew about your legal fight with prior employer, that would become a red flag. If you have bills and family who depend on you etc. Then be as professional as you can and do your very best and leave on good terms.

You seem agitated by my input. obviously you take offense to truth be presented to the masses. Have you had legal action against you? I can assure you that slander, especially in the professional realm, is taken very, very seriously by the courts and considerable compensation is awarded in proven cases. Outside agencies acting as third parties are invaluable in prosecuting malicious slanderers.

• 7 months later...

I'm in this position right now.  My contract says 90 days.  (90 days!)  But another part of my contract says you have to give at least 30 days notice to receive your unused PTO paid out (making it seem like that's the thresh-hold, right?)

I'm leaving a job in FM for a fellowship in another city (taking a big pay cut, too).

I'm giving notice this week.  I'll let them know Wednesday, so that'll be 6 1/2 weeks notice.  Is that reasonable?  I feel like 6 weeks is good, right?  

Thanks, Paula.  Reading through info on contract law, so as not to be in breach of contract, I will try to appear as if I'm renegotiating this bit. 

I think I'm going to say:

(in the first paragraph):  I would like my last day of service to be October 31st.

(and in the last paragraph):  Thanks again for giving me the opportunity to serve our patients.  Please guide me on wrapping up my time here so that there is a smooth transition.  At your earliest convenience, I would like to discuss selecting a last day of service that is mutually agreeable to both parties, again to ensure a smooth transition for the organization.

I think we can then agree on the date so that I'm not in breach.

My administrator is a lawyer and a stickler on contracts.

My contract says 90 days. (90 days!)

I'm giving notice this week. I'll let them know Wednesday, so that'll be 6 1/2 weeks notice. Is that reasonable? I feel like 6 weeks is good, right?

But, you signed a 90 day out contract. Without their support for a shorter time, you are in breach.

I'd ask. But be prepared for either answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in this position right now.  My contract says 90 days.  (90 days!)  But another part of my contract says you have to give at least 30 days notice to receive your unused PTO paid out (making it seem like that's the thresh-hold, right?)

I'm leaving a job in FM for a fellowship in another city (taking a big pay cut, too).

I'm giving notice this week.  I'll let them know Wednesday, so that'll be 6 1/2 weeks notice.  Is that reasonable?  I feel like 6 weeks is good, right?  

It doesn't much matter what you feel is good.  You signed a contract with them agreeing that you would give them 90 days notice prior to your departure.  As a professional you owe it to yourself and your employer to provide at least 90 days notice. 

Requested 7 weeks, but said I'd like to discuss and agree upon a date in my resignation letter--was willing to do 90 days or anything in between.  I've been a good employee, leaving for a fellowship, and they hope I'll consider coming back afterward.  They gave me my requested last day.  Only asked that I sign off all my charts and work to transition some of my more complex patients back to my SP.    I've always had less than 100 charts pending (our criteria), so they know I'm capable of this.  I told them I was already working with my SP on the transition.  BTW I work in a community clinic (FQHC) so there are no "partners"--only employees like me

You'll never know unless you ask.

Archived